Views: 3889|Replies: 11

Why is it difficult for educated women to tie the knot? [Copy link] 中文

Post time 2014-6-4 22:41:20 |Display all floors
As the Chinese New Year prompts the country to consider 2014's auguries, hundreds of Chinese women are dealing with the stigma of being classed as "sheng nu" or "leftover women".

The term "sheng nu" was first used by the All-China Women's Federation in 2007, to explain that a leftover is an unmarried woman over the age of 27.

A more denigrating label is "female PhD", a term which refers to women who are studying for or have completed a doctoral degree. Instead of denoting intelligence and accomplishment, this expression is used in China to criticise women who pursue a higher education and sacrifice femininity and attractiveness.

Every so often, the media dusts off and replays some version of the story that women with higher education have more difficulties getting married.

If that's the case, what are the reasons behind this?

There is an opinion that A quality guys will find B quality women, B quality guys will find C quality women, and C quality men will find D quality women. Then the people left are A quality women and D quality men. So will an A quality woman picks a D quality man?

Not quite sure myself..
Do you have any other ideas? Share with me if you do!

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2014-6-5 11:50:14 |Display all floors
The quality women are FEmales(铁汉子), who wont choose D quality men..staying singles is good for them.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2014-6-5 14:01:48 |Display all floors
this expression is used in China to criticise women who pursue a higher education and sacrifice femininity and attractiveness.

Chinese women with high standards aren't willing to demean themselves by using feminine wiles and physical beauty to prostitute themselves.  Shame on the All-China Women's Federation for their unprogressive view.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2014-6-5 16:58:53 |Display all floors
Not a common scene. Not focus too much attention on them, they will be more difficult to pursuade.

Use magic tools Report

2018 Most Popular Member 2015 Most Popular Member Medal of honor Medal of honor Medal of honor

Post time 2014-6-5 20:31:43 |Display all floors
msrong Post time: 2014-6-5 14:01
Chinese women with high standards aren't willing to demean themselves by using feminine wiles and  ...

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2014-6-5 22:51:39 |Display all floors
Naturally, smarter people are more selective in choosing their mates. Where's the big mystery? And smarter people can support themselves without marrying. Some women will simply use healthy, smart men as "sperm donors" to get high-quality children without a need for marriage.
What's on your mind...

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2014-6-5 22:51:49 |Display all floors
I also have an ambission to pursue my PHD degree, but a large portion of my friends and teachers also persuade me to tie the knot before go after further education. To be frank, to consider something from the angle of age, as for myself, my age will reach 26 after finish my current postgraduate study. For my part, love is freedom and can never be forced to combine with any man. I also rely on destiny..

Use magic tools Report

You can't reply post until you log in Log in | register

BACK TO THE TOP
Contact us:Tel: (86)010-84883548, Email: blog@chinadaily.com.cn
Blog announcement:| We reserve the right, and you authorize us, to use content, including words, photos and videos, which you provide to our blog
platform, for non-profit purposes on China Daily media, comprising newspaper, website, iPad and other social media accounts.