Author: CDBetty

Chinese Counterfeit World Famous Landmarks     [Copy link] 中文

Post time 2014-5-25 20:38:03 |Display all floors
I think replicas would be a better word than counterfeits.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2014-5-25 23:14:42 |Display all floors
DMZappa Post time: 2014-5-25 20:38
I think replicas would be a better word than counterfeits.

You're right but it wouldn't serve the ultimate purpose of the OP; to bash China

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2014-5-26 09:56:50 |Display all floors
it humors me to see these replicas in China!!
I am me and that is something you will never be, no matter how hard you try!!

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2014-5-26 10:56:22 |Display all floors
We should not call it a counterfeit.  That term is used for things meant to appear real.  Even though the Sphinx is a good copy, no one thinks it is the real thing.  It seems to me that China has so many amazing historical sites that copying Egyptian ones doesn't make sense.  But, I don't personally think it hurts anything.  

Use magic tools Report

Glod Medal 2015 Most Popular Member Medal of honor June's Best Writer 2012 2016 Most Popular Member

Post time 2014-5-26 11:29:20 |Display all floors
CDBetty Post time: 2014-5-24 10:49
Huizhou shanzhai, imitation of the Dartmouth town. The original one is located in Austria.

Dartmouth is located in England
Per Ardua Ad Astra

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2014-5-26 11:40:58 |Display all floors
longzhou Post time: 2014-5-25 23:14
You're right but it wouldn't serve the ultimate purpose of the OP; to bash China

Wait, disagreeing with these structures, thinking it is wrong to build them is not bashing China.

Ca we not dislike something about China without it being called bashing China? I have problems with China but I love it here. I have problems with my own country, I love it there too.

The point is that it cheapens the original piece by making these replicas. I see both sides of the story but I disagree still that they were built. I would prefer China promoted their own culture and created some truly amazing Chinese architecture, the likes of which they are capable to do. You see this is not China bashing, I love Chinese architecture. We are bashing who ever created these replicas...not China. We are bashing whoever made the decision to build them, not the entirety of China. and even if it was against China, and not against the people. It's not bashing just to disagree with something.

Shouting China basher anytime someone disagrees is just trying to make sure no one speaks out against China. I believe in free speech however, and being able to criticise something without being labelled a China basher is part of that.

Do you believe in free speech?
You know that every time I try to go
Where I really want to be
It's already where I am
'Cause I'm already there

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2014-5-26 12:06:16 |Display all floors
Impression is the greatest form of flattery.
That being said, whether these replicas are full-sized or scaled-down models is irrelevant.
Considering that 90% of the Chinese who visit these models and take photos will never be able to afford to travel and see the original with their own eyes due to the high costs and Visa requirements.
The originals have lasted for decades, the models will eventually fall apart due to shoddy construction and lack of maintenance - just like everything else in China in a few years.
Let them have their dream - its not harming anyone at all.
I'm just here for the money

Use magic tools Report

You can't reply post until you log in Log in | register

BACK TO THE TOP
Contact us:Tel: (86)010-84883548, Email: blog@chinadaily.com.cn
Blog announcement:| We reserve the right, and you authorize us, to use content, including words, photos and videos, which you provide to our blog
platform, for non-profit purposes on China Daily media, comprising newspaper, website, iPad and other social media accounts.