Views: 415|Replies: 2

Discovering Beijing through bicycling[2]- Chinadaily.com.cn [Copy link] 中文

Post time 2014-5-9 18:57:14 |Display all floors
My next purchase was a loud bell to warn others I was coming up behind them. My need for speed, even on a bicycle, means I'm

Running through the haze becomes first Chinese lesson 

Am I addicted to smartphone? 

constantly passing other cyclists, carts, electric bicycles and the occasional horse-drawn cart, and I've learned to also be on constant alert for pe ...

--------Click here for more information--------

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2014-5-9 18:57:15 |Display all floors
Great column!  I bike all over Beijing and have for years.  I know people don't like unsolicited advice.  But, please slow down.  Think about what will happen if you actually run into someone.  If you injure them or are injured yourself.  Do you have adequate  insurance?  Is your Chinese good enough to try to apologize for hitting some kid?
I used to ride faster.  Then one day, I was on the third ring road west, on the side street going south.  A truck was parked in the bike lane, a slower  bike was passing the truck.  I was pumped and passed the slower bike on the outside.  Just then a white panel truck came off the third ring road.  My bike was caught on his right hand outside mirror, and my front tire was lifted off the ground.  We were going pretty fast.  I sped up, he slowed down, I popped off and was okay.  I could have been killed, and almost was.  I grew up in that moment, and changed my approach to biking.  Please do the same before something happens.  Happy safe biking for many years in Beijing.

Use magic tools Report

You can't reply post until you log in Log in | register

BACK TO THE TOP
Contact us:Tel: (86)010-84883548, Email: blog@chinadaily.com.cn
Blog announcement:| We reserve the right, and you authorize us, to use content, including words, photos and videos, which you provide to our blog
platform, for non-profit purposes on China Daily media, comprising newspaper, website, iPad and other social media accounts.