Author: admin

Forum trends: Funny English names picked by Chinese people[8]- Chinadaily.com.cn     [Copy link] 中文

Post time 2014-5-24 11:11:01 |Display all floors
Actually, Angus, Dick is a short form for 'Richard', and only in England is a vulva referred to as a 'Fanny'. Fanny actually comes from the name 'Frances', the feminine derivative of the masculine Francis, and has only been vulgar slang since the late 19th century. It has its roots in England and Finland (Fanni, Fanny).

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2014-5-25 04:11:29 |Display all floors
Names not to call yourself....
Peter Guo (bitter gourd)
Diana Saw (dinosaur)
Amy Ting  (anything)

I don't understand why Chinese wants to take English names, as though our own names are not good enough. If westerners want us to take up english names so they can remember easily, that is their problem; if they respect us (and we should respect ourselves), they should try to remember our names.

But if you insist, here are some of my suggestions...
Anus Lo
Nitride Lee
Porcus Wang
Virgina Tee
Canine Kong
Dioxin Teng
Coitus Kang
Swine Swee
Labia Tang
Prick Ting
Venom Veng
Crow Chan
Corvid Lee
Scrotum Wong
Virus Pua
Faeces Fang
Rancid Woo
Diablo Leong

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2014-5-26 10:25:41 |Display all floors
Now, who in their right mind would name themselves after human reproductive organs and the intestinal tract? You must be one of the idiots who gave those pilots the names Ho Li Fuk and Sum Ting Wong.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2014-6-6 19:10:28 |Display all floors
wulik date. 2014-5-25 04:11
                                Names not to call yourself....
Peter Guo (bitter gourd)
Diana Saw (dinosaur)
Amy Ting  (anything)

I ...
I use a Chinese name when I speak Chinese and an English name when I speak English.

Why is that illogical?

Most Chinese people cannot pronounce my English name, so should I insist? Ditto for most English-speakers -- they cannot properly pronounce a Chinese name.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2014-6-9 09:20:28 |Display all floors
Wow,thanks for the article,I won't call other like these offensively.
And I will also tell friend not to make the same mistake.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2014-6-9 10:02:40 |Display all floors
There is something fishy about calling oneself Octopus, and I'll stick my neck out and say, it is equally strange to call oneself Giraffe!
To read more about me: http://capaworld.capa.org/2014/01/17/capa-resident-director-china-programs-interview-colin-speakman/.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2015-6-4 10:42:50 |Display all floors
I live and work in the West,I have visited China and like and enjoy it very much.The Chinese I have worked with in the west have English first names we can say their first names easily,it makes it very easy for them to make friends.By having a western first name you are showing very good manners for your host country and that you are a person who wants to fit in and adapt Imagine having a workmate you cannot say their first name,their English is not very easy to understand.I and many others avoid them its too hard.

Use magic tools Report

You can't reply post until you log in Log in | register

BACK TO THE TOP
Contact us:Tel: (86)010-84883548, Email: blog@chinadaily.com.cn
Blog announcement:| We reserve the right, and you authorize us, to use content, including words, photos and videos, which you provide to our blog
platform, for non-profit purposes on China Daily media, comprising newspaper, website, iPad and other social media accounts.