Views: 525|Replies: 6

China appeals to WTO against rare earth ruling [Copy link] 中文

Post time 2014-4-18 13:08:56 |Display all floors
BEIJING - China will appeal to the World Trade Organization (WTO) against its ruling that China's regulation of its rare earth exports had violated WTO rules, an official said on Thursday.
The appeal will be lodged Thursday, Chinese Ministry of Commerce spokesman Shen Danyang said.
No matter the result, China will stick to its policy objective to protect resources and the environment, and will c ...

--------Click here for more information--------

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2014-4-18 13:08:57 |Display all floors
China's best argument is that it has only 23 percent of the global total deposits and it is grossly unfair to ask China to supply 'over 90 percent of the world's market demand at the cost of causing much pollution'.

There are vast amounts of rare earth deposits in Australia, USA, Greenland, etc but they are slow to start production because the waste product is uranium or thorium.

Chinese companies should start to invest in rare earth start-ups in foreign countries to help them being their rare earth to production.

These include in Australia rare earth start-ups like Arafura Resources Limited, Lynas Corp Ltd, Northern Minerals Ltd and Greenland Minerals & Energy Ltd (GGG). In the USA it is Moly Corps.

GGG has the world's largest deposits of rare earth in Greenland plus a lot of Zinc and 750 million lbs of uranium. Chinese company should invest in this potentially important rare earth supplier. See www.ggg.gl

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2014-4-24 13:26:06 |Display all floors
No mention of dumping products on foreign markets to ruin competition and corner the market. Sure, foreign countries have rare earth supplies, but why should country A/B/C mine them when a foreign country subsidizes it's local production?

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2014-4-25 15:19:39 |Display all floors
>No matter the result, China will stick to its policy objective to protect resources and the environment<

This is the first proper attitude I've seen adopted since this whole charade began. The WTO is largely a Western agency, and it's aim is to serve the hegemonic imperialist nations and their puppets. Now and then it would throw some crumbs for China, and that's all China can hope for. China should withdraw from the WTO and form a new trade organization that includes the Soviet Union, leaving the door open also for developing countries from Asia, Africa, and Latin America. Such a move would also be a fitting reply for the restrictions on high tech from the West, and spur China to be more inventive. Fifty years ago I used to wear "Torch" shoes from Tientsin, and they lasted for years. Today I wear Chinese shoes and they lasted for a few months, if I'm lucky. Western brands like Nike or Adidas are no better in terms of comfort. Long ago, Chinese light bulbs were actually priced higher in Singapore because they lasted longer than GE bulbs. The irony was that pre-1950 GE bulbs were just as good and was, I think, imitated by New China. However, because of the American policy of planned obsolescence modern GE bulbs tend to be unreliable.

China produced much less products during the 1950s and 60s, but their quality was often excellent because of pride in workmanship. They did not need the WTO to be innovative, to make the world's first synthetic insulin in industrial quantities, or produced the first cloned fish twenty years before Dolly the sheep, or make China's first nuclear-powered submarine during the early 1970s. Enough propaganda has been made the last 30 years to show China's "progress" which often resulted in what is known as "the development of underdevelopment."

Use magic tools Report

You can't reply post until you log in Log in | register

BACK TO THE TOP
Contact us:Tel: (86)010-84883548, Email: blog@chinadaily.com.cn
Blog announcement:| We reserve the right, and you authorize us, to use content, including words, photos and videos, which you provide to our blog
platform, for non-profit purposes on China Daily media, comprising newspaper, website, iPad and other social media accounts.