Views: 7207|Replies: 11

Sound American? [Copy link] 中文

Post time 2003-10-7 06:24:12 |Display all floors
wish to share with you my experience. I will be very glad if it is of any use to you at all.

Sound American?

I am shocked to learn from newspaper reports that it is not uncommon for people in Beijing and Shanghai to spend a fortune to surgically modify their tongues in the hope that they would speak English like an American or English. In my college years, many students, myself included, would spent endless hours practicing the pronunciation of a few particular sounds so as to sound more American while on the other hand we could hardly speak or write one single complete sentence. We squeezed our mouth and nose to make our voice deep and smooth. The objective of such efforts is not to communicate effectively but to impress other people with an American accent. How many man-hours have been lost in this endeavor? Probably only sky is the limit.

Now I realize that such a desire to sound American is unnecessary, unattainable, and is therefore a waste of time. In fact it is harmful!

This desire misleads people to focusing on the wrong goal. English is a tool for communication. We learn it for the purpose of obtaining and presenting information. The priority clearly is the transmission of contents. In many cases, such transmission can be accomplished perfectly without ever making one single vocal signal. In various business activities, often it is the reading and writing business letters or other documents that communicate best.

This desire is also unnecessary even when oral communication is involved. What is most critical in effective oral communication is not whether you sound American but whether you can clearly understand what is said and are able to give an appropriate response.

Learning to swim may be a good analogy. In the beginning stage you should not waste your time on learning the style of a professional swimmer. When you are thrown into water, your most critical skill is the one that keeps you afloat regardless of the style you use.

I almost drowned in a river when I was 8 years old . The river current swept me into a deeper part, and before I had time to call "help' I was fully submerged into the river. However, my instinct to survive miraculously taught me how to swim in that ugly 'doggy style' instantly. Since then I learned how to swim in ‘doggy style'. Although I have become a much better swimmer now, I would still playfully try the 'doggy stlye' when nobody else is watchhing. Ugly it may be, but it saved me my life.

Similarly, when asking for directions in a crime-infested inner city in the US, what you need is not an American accent but the ability to ask a question and the ability to understand the answer given, for a mistake here could potentially cost you your life. Before you can swim with style like a professional swimmer, you obviously should devote your time to other far more critical skills that are essential to your very survival.

The ones who are or soon to be thrown into sea are more concerned with their practical surviving skills. Only those who remain on land can afford the luxury of discussing which style is more fashionable. Similarly in English study, the ones who are trying to sound American are typically the ones who do not have a real need to use English. After I left China I stopped trying to sound American or English because I have far more urgent needs to deal with, such as that to understand my PhD advisor, my fellow students, technicians, and the people in the street or in shops. I was far more concerned with making myself understood and express myself with appropriate vocabularies.

The desire to sound American is also unnecessary because English itself is spoken in many different tones or accents, American, English, Scottish, Irish, Canadian, Australian, African, Indian, and other Asian accents. In England alone, there must be tens or hundreds of very different accents, many of which can hardly be understood by Americans, yet are no less perfect English than American English. In fact many Americans are quite admiring English accents and the ones who have such accents are trying hard to retain them.

Accent sometimes is also regarded as a symbol of cultural heritage and is thus a pride to retain. For example, it is perfectly normal for black Americans to speak with a strong black accent, and in fact they almost are expected to speak with such an accent. Many black Americans view that as their identity and their pride. Similarly, Americans immigrated from other countries usually have a strong accent however long they may have been in the US, and most do not make a great effort to hide that cultural identity. It is fine if one can speak like an American, but one is not expected to do so. What is far more important is that one can effectively communicate and such effectiveness has very little to do with accent.

The desire to speak like Americans is also unattainable. If you have been in Beijing and are associated with people from others provinces, you will find that few of these people from others provinces can ever speak like a person born in Beijing. Similarly in the US, a Japanese typically sounds Japanese, a German sounds German, and an Indian sounds Indian despite the fact that many Indians were educated in English since their time in elementary school.

By certain age, the way one speaks is formed and is simply too hard for most people to change. Since it is unattainable and unnecessary and in fact very harmful to your English study, the first thing you should do is stop wasting time on trying to sound American.

Thanks for reading if you ever get this far :)

Use magic tools Report

ccpforme has been deleted
Post time 2003-10-7 08:29:54 |Display all floors

True.

Reminder: Author is prohibited or removed, and content is automatically blocked

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2003-10-7 09:30:07 |Display all floors

accent

all english speaking people have a different accent.
when speaking english you can tell from what english speaking country they are from.
Whether English, American,or Austrailian.
So in fact you would have to have sugery for which country you would go to.
Be yourself that is what makes each person so special.

Use magic tools Report

maple2626 has been deleted
Post time 2003-10-7 09:43:55 |Display all floors

Right right....

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2003-10-7 10:35:42 |Display all floors

I agree

I agree to the point that the most important for learning english is to make your listeners understand what you say, and make yourself understand what the speaker says. I am studying hard to be a good speaker and a good listner.

Use magic tools Report

truedream has been deleted
Post time 2003-10-7 21:00:37 |Display all floors

Perhaps you can publish your article in the magzine!

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2003-10-7 21:36:40 |Display all floors

Agree!

I read your article, it is quite long!
I agree with you. I'm an English major in a law school. Language is a tool for communication.
In a debate, nobody notices your accent, what you have said is more important!

Use magic tools Report

You can't reply post until you log in Log in | register

BACK TO THE TOP
Contact us:Tel: (86)010-84883548, Email: blog@chinadaily.com.cn
Blog announcement:| We reserve the right, and you authorize us, to use content, including words, photos and videos, which you provide to our blog
platform, for non-profit purposes on China Daily media, comprising newspaper, website, iPad and other social media accounts.