Author: redacted

China’s Actions in Hunt for Jet Are Seen as Hurting as Much as Helping   [Copy link] 中文

Glod Medal 2015 Most Popular Member Medal of honor June's Best Writer 2012 2016 Most Popular Member

Post time 2014-4-16 11:32:14 |Display all floors
redacted Post time: 2014-4-16 09:10
Depends on the American you ask. Some will know.

No many do know where Perth is. Living in Perth I can tell you that more Chinese as a percentage know more about the world in general than Americans.  The geography survey from a couple of years ago showed that 50% of 18-24 year old Americans couldn't even locate the state of New York on a map while 75% couldn't even place Indonesia on a map or knew that it's predominantly Muslim. Adults are little better, most have heard of Australia but know nothing about it except for 'roos and koalas... hardly encouraging stuff.
Per Ardua Ad Astra

Use magic tools Report

Glod Medal 2015 Most Popular Member Medal of honor June's Best Writer 2012 2016 Most Popular Member

Post time 2014-4-16 11:37:25 |Display all floors
This post was edited by Ratfink at 2014-4-16 11:38
Revolutionar Post time: 2014-4-16 08:48
Photographs published by the official Chinese news agency, Xinhua, showed crewmen using a hand-held  ...

It may have been a stock image or an old image.  Very few countries have the very latest sophisticated deep water sonar and underwater cartography systems due to their cost.  The UK, USA, Australia, Japan, Holland, Germany and a handful of other nations have it as it's not only frightfully expensive but the computing power required is astounding. HMS Tireless the UK nuclear submarine involved in the search has a sonar array that uses the equivalent of 60,000 domestic PC's in terms of processing power to data crunch the sensor data.

China sadly made a right ass of itself in this case.  
Per Ardua Ad Astra

Use magic tools Report

2015 Most Popular Member Medal

Post time 2014-4-16 11:51:35 |Display all floors
China isn't the only nation to claim to have heard pings. The Australians heard pings twice last week.
And on top of that the U.S. is sending a search sub into the Indian Ocean to look for...
If capitalism promotes innovation and creativity then why aren't scientists and artists the richest people in a capitalist nation?

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2014-4-16 12:00:53 |Display all floors
robert237 Post time: 2014-4-16 11:51
China isn't the only nation to claim to have heard pings. The Australians heard pings twice last wee ...

Big difference!  The Chinese did not record the pings, which they admitted, so they had no way of proving them or analyzing them.  They probably picked up noise from their own boat with the crude equipment they were using.  The other pings were identifiable picked up by the Australians.  No matter now, the batteries are dead.  The only hope is a robot searching the water.  Unless you have a better idea?

Use magic tools Report

2016 Most Popular Member CD top contributor in April 2015 Most Popular Member Medal of honor Medal of honor

Post time 2014-4-16 12:01:12 |Display all floors
Ratfink Post time: 2014-4-16 11:32
No many do know where Perth is. Living in Perth I can tell you that more Chinese as a percentage k ...

I seem to remember a description of Oz as been like a 70 year old woman, we all know what is down under but nobody seems to want to go there.

Use magic tools Report

2015 Most Popular Member Medal

Post time 2014-4-16 12:04:45 |Display all floors
grb Post time: 2014-4-15 20:00
Big difference!  The Chinese did not record the pings, which they admitted, so they had no way of  ...

I recorded a ping too!!!
If capitalism promotes innovation and creativity then why aren't scientists and artists the richest people in a capitalist nation?

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2014-4-16 12:24:55 |Display all floors
Ratfink Post time: 2014-4-16 11:32
No many do know where Perth is. Living in Perth I can tell you that more Chinese as a percentage k ...

Would love to see a link or source. I live in America and couldn't find a single person who can't point out NY on a map. That's ridiculous.

As for Perth, I know where it is, but I have lived in Asia. I think most American's wouldn't know where Perth is honestly, but that's like asking someone from Australia to point out Wisconsin on a map.

Use magic tools Report

You can't reply post until you log in Log in | register

BACK TO THE TOP
Contact us:Tel: (86)010-84883548, Email: blog@chinadaily.com.cn
Blog announcement:| We reserve the right, and you authorize us, to use content, including words, photos and videos, which you provide to our blog
platform, for non-profit purposes on China Daily media, comprising newspaper, website, iPad and other social media accounts.