Views: 43255|Replies: 64

Do Chinese dislike second hand stuff?   [Copy link] 中文

Post time 2014-3-24 16:36:16 |Display all floors
In Europe we often collect clothes, books or other things to sell them at a flea market or give it to charity. We don't mind having stuff that has been used before. In fact, in some cases, e.g. children clothes, it can be healthier to use second hand clothes, cause the textile gets treated with chemicals in the factory and if you wash the clothes many times it will be healthier for the child. I have the feeling however, that Chinese people dislike having used stuff. I have collected some clothes and would like to give them to charity. So my questions:

Do Chinese people really dislike second hand clothes?
Is there a place / institution that collects clothes for charity?

Thanks

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2014-3-24 17:22:00 |Display all floors
As far as I know, some people from city don't like second hand stuff. That also refers to waste. Me, from grassland, my family members like second hand stuff. I got some baby clothes from my friends and I gave some used clothes to my sister in-law who will have baby this Aug. My company collects clothes for village farmers and primary schools every year. That's a good action.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2014-3-24 17:33:37 |Display all floors
This post was edited by Paul_Ket at 2014-3-24 17:34

Yes, that's true. I notice in China dislike second hand stuff. When i worked in textile industry, i was interested of this question. Chinese people said, that in only one province there are demand of second hand - Xinjiang, but in other peart of China - not demand

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2014-3-24 19:21:03 |Display all floors
I know that some clothes in China are of very low quality, so they don't last long. But nowadays many Chinese have a higher life standard and can afford good quality clothes. I think there should be a higher acceptance for used things. In Austria, we have own stores to resell second hand clothes, it is not only for poor people, but also for families with less income or parents, who see it as a waste of money to buy clothes for children, cause they grow so fast. Especially people, who want to protect the environment and have a critic attitude towards consumerism would also buy in these stores. You can save money and create less trash.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2014-3-24 20:02:55 |Display all floors
in fact, it's true that chinese do not accept the second hand stuff from stranger.  However, they would like to accept second hand stuff from those they are familar with.  it reflects a lack of trust each other in real society.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2014-3-25 08:12:01 |Display all floors
This post was edited by fhchd at 2014-3-25 08:12

Seriously,it is not true to say that cause all of Chinese has a habit to save things as possible as they could.And what is that most crucial item is to trust someone you really konw.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2014-3-25 11:08:49 |Display all floors
a spiffing business idea.....good luck but I suspect different mind set re this thing. Thrifty society v not so thrifty. Good quality stuff v used to death stuff
No, I live above Sunset Plaza, it's a little house I rent and it's a little rundown but has a beautiful view, what about you?

Use magic tools Report

You can't reply post until you log in Log in | register

BACK TO THE TOP
Contact us:Tel: (86)010-84883548, Email: blog@chinadaily.com.cn
Blog announcement:| We reserve the right, and you authorize us, to use content, including words, photos and videos, which you provide to our blog
platform, for non-profit purposes on China Daily media, comprising newspaper, website, iPad and other social media accounts.