Author: voice_cd

Describe China's changes in your eyes     [Copy link] 中文

Post time 2014-3-4 19:13:36 |Display all floors
ericinchina Post time: 2014-2-27 20:08
China has changed so fast that it is hard to know where to start. I came to China in 94 and have bee ...

YEAH,I CAN NOT SUPPORT MORE

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2014-3-4 19:14:43 |Display all floors
ericinchina Post time: 2014-2-27 20:08
China has changed so fast that it is hard to know where to start. I came to China in 94 and have bee ...

YEAH,I CAN NOT SUPPORT MORE

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2014-3-4 19:38:48 |Display all floors
See my blog post on China's Changes through Western Eyes and tell me what I missed.
To read more about me: http://capaworld.capa.org/2014/01/17/capa-resident-director-china-programs-interview-colin-speakman/.

Use magic tools Report

Gold Medal

Post time 2014-3-5 00:57:14 |Display all floors
AndrewPKU Post time: 2014-3-4 06:54
What????

I don't think China ever had a Soviet style.   China hired the Soviets on several occasi ...
  1. And a comparison of the United States to China is like comparing sawdust to Neptune.
Copy code
Hmm, I wouldn't say the U.S. is only sawdust. Too early, really!

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2014-3-5 01:09:18 |Display all floors
To many foreigners who have never visited China, this enormous country is still a mysterious fantasy land…. Or a harsh and intolerant place. Books and internet articles written about China that I read before coming here either excited or warned me.  It only took a few short weeks living in central China for me to realise that these comments are both extreme and ridiculous.  I find the comments here, made by other foreign readers about how they find China, far more accurate.  My own observations and experiences are just that….. with no criticism intended. If I see something “wrong” I just have to remind myself how far the people here have come in just the last 50 years and that they are, as I said in a previous article, like children who are learning and developing all the time.  The people of China have quickly built an enormous industrial base and their leaders have driven the economy to create a very rich and powerful country. Now it appears that Premier Xi is developing policies that will push China further…. recognising  problems that need resolving and  using the wealth of  production to further the service industries and the domestic market. The prestige of the country is being raised by its involvement in Africa, in participating in World peace-keeping and its space programme.
I shall reinforce or add to comments already made.
I recall an important politician saying that China’s downfall will be corruption.  I have found that money is most important to people in China. Whether poor or rich, people here seem forced or  greedy enough to  expect “extra payments” to  fulfil their duties. The giving of gifts  in business seems almost a part of Chinese culture. In the news, I note the efforts to reduce corruption at all levels and to make decision making more honest and transparent. Such policies may improve the trust that people here should have in one-another.  I also read an article about the attitude of Chinese people to rules, laws and tests. It talked of the “cleverness” of cheating and ignoring rules without being caught. Punishment is for being caught, not for breaking the law. I don’t believe these issues can be explained away by saying they are a part of Chinese culture.
Industrial  growth  creates wonderful advantages. In China I see a growing Middle class of people with enough money to spend on improving their lives, opening businesses, travelling etc. I see incredible improvements to transport. Everywhere buildings are going up and the environment improved.   A friend said, “China seems an enormous building site. China will be wonderful when it is finished! “   And the advantages of a roadside market economy…. And banks that are open for the customer’s convenience and not their own.  The problems created by growth are well known from Western experience. Pollution, rising house prices, the migration of rural communities to the cities and the frantic speed of development at the expense of safety….. these are not  only Chinese phenomenons but seen in all developing countries (and some developed ones too!)  
There are many people in the west who think of Chinese transport in the same way they see that of India or middle eastern countries; dirty old buses and trains filled and covered with poor people carrying their chickens and vegetables to market. This was what I expected when I booked a ticket from Hong Kong to Guang Zhou many years ago. Yet here were fast modern twin deck trains with waitress service and TV films…. All seats numbered… fast and efficient and clean. Buses that came every few minutes costing  1 yuan for as far as you like!  It is the growth of prosperity and a middle class that causes problems…. The car has become a status symbol. Congestion and pollution. Roads are dangerous places. (see my articles on traffic in China).
Medical insurance for foreigners is a disgraceful joke. Often provided by companies who base costs on expensive American treatment, and in the knowledge that foreign workers in China are often required to have insurance, they charge premiums accordingly. Again reports in the West of Chinese medical treatment indicate that treatment here is sub-standard and dirty. I live in a very Chinese city, far away from Westernised ones. Yet I see hospitals and clinics everywhere…. Many new and well equipped.  No appointment is necessary. No waiting for days and weeks for treatment. Ok, if you are ill you have to wait in the hospital for several hours… but then it is all done, medicine or treatment is prescribed and the cost is (by Western standards) very reasonable.  I understand that all treatment needs paying for though, even if you are very poor….. which is a concern. How do the poorest people in China get treatment?  (The peasant farmer, street cleaner  and the factory worker).   Furthermore, the prosperity of China creates problems in the changes to diet and eating habits. Diabetes, over-weight……  Consider the results in America, of over-eating and eating unhealthy fast food.
In the west the idea of a one child policy seems to many an infringement of a basic liberty, yet China is faced with feeding and caring for an enormous population. I know this policy has caused upset and also has resulted in a lack of care for the elderly by the family. Likewise policies and practices in education have developed in response to the numbers of students. Parents want their best for their child, but are sometimes/often are misguided in their ideas about how children learn. They demand rote learning and long hours of study, high results in tests and no activity that wastes time. (see my article on  education in China).  Punishment is considered better than reward, and obedience preferred to the use of initiative.
Yet, despite the huge population, the unfairness of the education system and the overloaded work ethic, I find China to be the safest country I have lived in. Where else can a young girl walk home late at night without fear of problems? And with no cameras to keep watch over people’s movements.  There are always some bad people in every community though, and I have read stories of Chinese people dishonestly acting out injuries and blame to get compensation. Blame and compensation culture is apparently much worse in America.
So, what do I agree is worst here? Lack of respect for each-other in queueing, unhygienic and smelly toilets, spitting, smoking in public places especially in restaurants ……. But most of all the lack of trust and initiative in the workplace and an education system that does not seem to understand how children learn.
“China will be a wonderful place when it is finished!”
English teacher and education adviser. China needs a teaching profession with less fear and more trust and honesty.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2014-3-5 04:36:19 |Display all floors
china is gettin better & better by the day, and still many issues to be addressin as well like environment is the most concerned subject of all  
a man who uses his hands is a laborer. one who uses his hands and his mind is a craftsman. but he who uses his hands, his mind, and his heart, is an artist...

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2014-3-5 04:39:46 |Display all floors
youknowhat Post time: 2014-3-5 04:36
china is gettin better & better by the day, and still many issues to be addressin as well like envir ...

This should be a #1 priority.
I am enclosing two tickets to the first night of my new play; bring a friend, if you have one. George Bernard Shaw. Cannot possibly attend first night, will attend second ... if there is one. Winston

Use magic tools Report

You can't reply post until you log in Log in | register

BACK TO THE TOP
Contact us:Tel: (86)010-84883548, Email: blog@chinadaily.com.cn
Blog announcement:| We reserve the right, and you authorize us, to use content, including words, photos and videos, which you provide to our blog
platform, for non-profit purposes on China Daily media, comprising newspaper, website, iPad and other social media accounts.