Author: Rearwindow

Why the west hypes that the rich’s “fleeing China”?   [Copy link] 中文

Post time 2014-2-24 19:46:28 |Display all floors
ZhuJon Post time: 2014-2-24 19:41
Why don't the West hype the record numbers of student graduates returning to China?

Also true.  But why did they go to the west to receive their graduate degrees?

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2014-2-24 20:12:24 |Display all floors
robert237 Post time: 2014-2-24 17:21
Whether "the rich" are fleeing China or not makes little difference.
If they are leaving to try to f ...

The rich are visiting you in America Robert, while you must be poor and want to retire in China or North Korea . Personally Cuba would be the best choice.

Use magic tools Report

June's Best Writer 2012 2016 Most Popular Member

Post time 2014-2-24 20:55:31 |Display all floors
ZhuJon Post time: 2014-2-24 19:54
I have only spoken to a couple of youngsters wanting to go overseas to study and both said they wa ...

I recall not long ago an article in China Daily lamenting that so few graduates return to China after their studies.

As to why they go overseas to study, it has nothing to do with experiencing life in a different culture. Chinese students are notoriously famous for staying together and not mingling with the locals, some even study for years in the UK but do not have basic grasp of English language as evidenced by a BBC documentary two weeks ago.
The only reason they study abroad, and any honest Chinese student will agree, is because a diploma from a foreign university always holds more value than a diploma from a Chinese university (it's a "grass is greener" can of thing).
The same is valid in foreign countries, most universities now require their student to study abroad for a semester.

Now if you want my opinion, I find it stupid. China has some great universities and I know some Chinese who never lived abroad who speak very good English while I have met graduates from prestigious US schools whose English was subpar. Also there has been some scandals of Chinese students purchasing their diplomas (just as discovered 2 years ago in Toulon in France).

In general I don't care much about diplomas, I often tell my wife (who is Shanghainese and often looks down on non shanghainese) that Mao Zedong was a guy from the countryside who did not get to study in Harvard or Princeton but, yet, still got to be one of the most influential man of the 20th century.

The same holds true for many great leaders.
Spreading magic around the world since 2007.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2014-2-24 21:29:00 |Display all floors
ZhuJon Post time: 2014-2-24 19:54
I have only spoken to a couple of youngsters wanting to go overseas to study and both said they wa ...

That is also a valid point.  And a lot of it depends on the field of study they want to pursue.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2014-2-24 21:37:20 |Display all floors
the riches can get better enviroment overseas at least, what's more, better resorces is the main reason for them because their gernerations can get benefit from this.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2014-2-24 22:07:41 |Display all floors
ZhuJon Post time: 2014-2-24 21:57
Can't say I have carried out an indepth analysis of students wanting to go overseas to study. So I ...

I can only provide insight on the few cases I know of.  A local businessman in Guangzhou sent his daughter to the USA to study medicine. She wants to be a doctor.  The owner of the factory I work at sent his daughter to a university in Canada.  She wanted to study international business.  There is another guy that used to work in our factory, but he is now retired and his son went to College in England.  Not sure what his field of study was.  A good friend of mine just recently got green cards for his wife and stepson so the boy could go to high school in the USA and then on to college.  All of these parents are Chinese nationals.  

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2014-2-24 22:38:44 |Display all floors
ZhuJon Post time: 2014-2-24 22:34
Interesting. I'm guessing but a reason for sending their kids overseas could be they want their ch ...

The girl that wants to be a doctor said doctor's in China are underpaid, which is very true.  

Use magic tools Report

You can't reply post until you log in Log in | register

BACK TO THE TOP
Contact us:Tel: (86)010-84883548, Email: blog@chinadaily.com.cn
Blog announcement:| We reserve the right, and you authorize us, to use content, including words, photos and videos, which you provide to our blog
platform, for non-profit purposes on China Daily media, comprising newspaper, website, iPad and other social media accounts.