Views: 7828|Replies: 21

Female gridiron player mixes it with the men.   [Copy link] 中文

Post time 2014-2-20 13:30:41 |Display all floors

THIS woman is five-foot-two. She weighs 59 kilograms. And believe it or not, she plays professional football — against men.                                                                                                                        This week, Jennifer Welter became the first woman to play gridiron, in a contact position, against men at the professional level. The 36-year-old linebacker appeared in a pre-season game for a team called the Texas Revolution, in America’s Indoor Football League. Welter got absolutely poleaxed three times. But that didn’t bother her one bit.
Is that all you got?” she asked hulking six-foot-four defender Cedric Hearvey after he smashed her the first time.
“They (the opposition players) were getting all alive, and I had to say something. I didn’t want them to think I was intimidated.”
The three massive hits were caught on video and posted on Instagram. See if you can spot Welter.
She didn’t score any points, or even make any ground, but Welter definitely earned the respect of the guys she was playing against. Particularly Hearvey, the man who kept tackling her.
“Honestly, it was very weird,” he said after the game. “Part of me wanted to let her score, but part of me had a job ... Honestly, I really have a lot of respect for that lady over there.”

Welter had been playing for the Dallas Diamonds, a team in the Women’s Football Alliance, since 2004. She wants the world to realise that women are passionate about gridiron too, the                   Morning News                reports.
“I’ve thought of all the reasons why I might be the wrong person to do this,” Welter said. “The truth is, if I can change the game, literally, for any of those girls, it’s worth it. Because it’s really not about me. It’s about them and the future of the sport.”

Welter won more than respect with her gritty performance. Today the Texas Revolution announced that she has made the 24-player regular season roster, and she’ll suit up “officially” for the first time on Friday night.
“Though there remains work to be done before she can fully contribute on the field, Jen provides an instant and positive impact on our team and organisation as a whole,” said Revolution president Tommy Benzio.
“The line-up has been inspired by her courage, as have women and girls across the country.”

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2014-2-21 14:49:16 |Display all floors
Obviously a publicity stunt.  Hence the article here, it worked!

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2014-2-21 15:35:42 |Display all floors
wallaceinwuhan Post time: 2014-2-21 14:49
Obviously a publicity stunt.  Hence the article here, it worked!

Could be. I follow real football AFL, no women allowed.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2014-2-21 16:56:56 |Display all floors
A macho woman.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2014-2-21 17:08:45 |Display all floors
tedbrent Post time: 2014-2-21 16:56
A macho woman.

Wanna be male

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2014-2-21 17:28:31 |Display all floors
Gender Role Reversal
... is a Zionist bankster promoted abomination.
9/11 was an inside job.
No second plane.It was a bomb.Bomb in the other building.
You KNOW without a doubt the videos are fake,right ?!
Planes don't meld into steel and concrete buildings.They crash into them !!!!!!!
It's amazing how the building ate the plane !!!
Imagine those fragile wings cutting slots in massive steel columns !!!!!
How STUPID can they think the people are to believe that crap ??!!

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2014-2-21 17:37:05 |Display all floors
petera Post time: 2014-2-21 17:28
Gender Role Reversal
... is a Zionist bankster promoted abomination.

You don't like the Hebrew race do you?

Use magic tools Report

You can't reply post until you log in Log in | register

BACK TO THE TOP
Contact us:Tel: (86)010-84883548, Email: blog@chinadaily.com.cn
Blog announcement:| We reserve the right, and you authorize us, to use content, including words, photos and videos, which you provide to our blog
platform, for non-profit purposes on China Daily media, comprising newspaper, website, iPad and other social media accounts.