Views: 17006|Replies: 87

1 in 4 Americans unaware that Earth circles Sun   [Copy link] 中文

Post time 2014-2-17 09:04:26 |Display all floors

AMERICANS are enthusiastic about the promise of science but lack basic knowledge of it, with one in four unaware that the Earth revolves around the Sun, according to a poll.                                                                                                                        The survey included more than 2,200 people in the United States and was conducted by the National Science Foundation.
Ten questions about physical and biological science were on the quiz, and the average score — 6.5 correct — was barely a passing grade.
Just 74 per cent of respondents knew that the Earth revolved around the Sun, according to the results released at the American Association for the Advancement of Science meeting in Chicago.
Fewer than half (48 per cent) knew that human beings evolved from earlier species of animals.
The result of the survey, which is conducted every two years, will be included in a National Science Foundation report to President Barack Obama and US lawmakers.
        One in three respondents said science should get more funding from the government.
Nearly 90 per cent said the benefits of science outweigh any dangers, and about the same number expressed interest in learning about medical discoveries.
http://www.news.com.au/technology/science/in-4-americans-unaware-that-earth-circles-sun-poll/story-fnjwlcze-1226828958882

Use magic tools Report

2015 Most Popular Member Happiest Member

Post time 2014-2-17 10:55:53 |Display all floors
This post was edited by KIyer at 2014-2-17 12:58

this I find it hard to believe... Americans are, in my experience well above the world average in being scientifically literate.

My friend the Black Swan

Use magic tools Report

2015 Most Popular Member Happiest Member

Post time 2014-2-17 11:00:17 |Display all floors
if that is what the results show, that is what will be considered.  However, I am surprised by this..
My friend the Black Swan

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2014-2-17 11:04:27 |Display all floors
KIyer Post time: 2014-2-17 11:00
if that is what the results show, that is what will be considered.  However, I am surprised by this ...

I don't believe the story is true, it more funny or a stupid nothing story with no substance. The comments will be interesting.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2014-2-17 11:43:21 |Display all floors
I smell propaganda!!
I am me and that is something you will never be, no matter how hard you try!!

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2014-2-17 11:49:19 |Display all floors
Cdogg Post time: 2014-2-17 11:43
I smell propaganda!!

Just pulled it off the news site, it is funny

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2014-2-17 11:49:43 |Display all floors
Cdogg Post time: 2014-2-17 11:43
I smell propaganda!!

Use magic tools Report

You can't reply post until you log in Log in | register

BACK TO THE TOP
Contact us:Tel: (86)010-84883548, Email: blog@chinadaily.com.cn
Blog announcement:| We reserve the right, and you authorize us, to use content, including words, photos and videos, which you provide to our blog
platform, for non-profit purposes on China Daily media, comprising newspaper, website, iPad and other social media accounts.