Author: celinawang

Mothers and daughters of Kolkata's red light district   [Copy link] 中文

2015 Most Popular Member Happiest Member

Post time 2014-2-9 15:49:50 |Display all floors
zakoi Post time: 2014-2-9 17:46
I bet, we enjoy much  better environment. Women are not so unsafe in country.

you are free to believe so... facts not withstanding.
My friend the Black Swan

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2014-2-9 16:09:18 |Display all floors
zakoi Post time: 2014-2-9 17:45
As You told we don't understand, It's your responsibility to make us understand.

of course, i will tell you what I understand by the caste system, but you tell me what you mean by 'appreciate' and what you understand by the caste system, it is not just that you have heard the word. I saw one person telling what he thinks it was for. I disagree with it. I want to know what YOU understand by it.

As I understand it, it was started as a profiling system for individuals, by two of the famous 'rishis' who contributed to the compilation of the Vedas. What they suggested and recommended became distorted and entrenched socially as a means to protect one's turf. It became more and more associated with a person's profession and social status and people married mostly within the same. It went on for thousands of years and has been both used and abused like any theory or principle. In its orginal form and as a principle  exists and thrives even today in many forms in all parts of the world even today - profiling a person based on their background (racial or family), their psychological make up to treat them in a certain way, or guide them towards a certain professions, job, social standing, economic opportunities and ultimately it becomes an inherited class. Over a long period of time, unless there is a large proportion of intermarriage between people of different types, economic status and from disparate places, people start to be associated with a certain type or class or 'caste' as the Indian system has been named.

I find it here and everywhere - in modern terms - White AngloSaxons would be effectively the highcaste, Other Europeans would be one, Jews would one, Muslims another, Blacks in the USA would be one, Hispanics in the USA another, Blacks in Africa and Hispanics in their native countries would be another caste, Chinese, Vietnamese, Indians would each be a different caste effectively. Native Americans, Aborigines, other ethnic groups would each be another caste, much lower than the higher castes. Just like when the original profiling system started, the Rishis said that the caste is not strictly by inheritence but by content of character, and opportunities should be free for a person to reach their own individual potential, but that one has to watch for inherited traits, they are a fact. But in practice, just like in all organised religions or societies with written principles or constitution, the reality starts to deviate from the original spirit or the letter of the law... But it is still a principle used widely and will I believe for ever - profiling and treating a person on that basis.. even making social policies based on that.
My friend the Black Swan

Use magic tools Report

2016 Most Popular Member CD top contributor in April 2015 Most Popular Member Medal of honor Medal of honor

Post time 2014-2-9 16:14:18 |Display all floors
KIyer Post time: 2014-2-9 14:37
you dont understand the caste system or how it worked.

Yes I do, if you were low caste you were / are looked down upon and were not allowed to move up to another caste, marry someone from another caste or in some cases talk to someone from another caste

Use magic tools Report

2016 Most Popular Member CD top contributor in April 2015 Most Popular Member Medal of honor Medal of honor

Post time 2014-2-9 16:15:14 |Display all floors
zakoi Post time: 2014-2-9 15:29
caste system is still alive there in India.

www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-asia-india-25855325‎

True but those either in higher castes or away from the system try to pretend it does not happen

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2014-2-9 16:16:11 |Display all floors
KIyer Post time: 2014-2-9 15:30
i understand how it worked, was supposed to work and how it is still working.

what do you mean by ...

what he means is do you think the caste system is acceptable.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2014-2-9 16:16:54 |Display all floors
KIyer Post time: 2014-2-9 15:34
is it in your country?

It is not in your country, you left India

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2014-2-9 16:23:19 |Display all floors
futsanglung Post time: 2014-2-9 18:14
Yes I do, if you were low caste you were / are looked down upon and were not allowed to move up to ...

yes, that was/is like segregation and effective slavery.. it is not by design, just like segregation  and slavery is not by the design of the constitution of either the American constution or the Magna Carta, it was a social practise in many parts of India (not all)
My friend the Black Swan

Use magic tools Report

You can't reply post until you log in Log in | register

BACK TO THE TOP
Contact us:Tel: (86)010-84883548, Email: blog@chinadaily.com.cn
Blog announcement:| We reserve the right, and you authorize us, to use content, including words, photos and videos, which you provide to our blog
platform, for non-profit purposes on China Daily media, comprising newspaper, website, iPad and other social media accounts.