Author: voice_cd

What touched you in 2013?     [Copy link] 中文

Post time 2013-12-28 13:36:30 |Display all floors
For me 2013 was a year of challenges, as it was for many of us foreigners. But it was also a year I met some fabulous Chinese people, some with deep and genuine feelings. Hopefully 2014 will be the same.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2013-12-29 05:15:41 |Display all floors
Language Exchange Tutoring, continues to touch me in 2013.

This is  because of its true win  win nature and the enthusiasm shown by the people I meet.   Language exchange is not saving lives or aiding those who are suffering, but it is a way for people to give back to the community while growing and developing new skills.  Even if your language skills are weak make every attempt to reach out and bridge the gap in understanding when the opportunity presents itself.   The more we do that the quicker we will learn.  If we stumble or find it awkward rest in the knowledge that what we are feeling is the process called learning. I have experienced in many ways, the more I put into language exchange the more I get back, it truly is a win win experience for me.

I have been tutoring Chinese people learning English now for over three years.  I continue to be inspired by these young people I meet on China daily, the Language exchange website SharedTalk or in daily life.   The enthusiasm drive and eagerness to learn and to share is truly inspirational and educational.

I have reached a new level in language exchange in 2013.  My foundation in the Chinese language has now reached the point where I can benefit from instruction on Chinese in these exchange tutoring sessions.  The latest exchange partner I now study with gave me two new tips on learning and tutoring.  He will repeat the phrase about eight times and then get me to say it.  He suggested that I do the same with the English phrases I am teaching him.  The second tip was to learn the characters better to practice writing the phrase word by word first in Chinese Character then pinyin and then in English.  To repeat this process 10 to 12 times for each phrase saying it out loud as we write.  I already feel I have benefitted from this even though we have only had one session. The first two years my benefit was mostly confined to enhancing my tutoring skills, learning Chinese Culture and geography and making friends. I have enjoyed tutoring people so much that I now list Language Exchange Tutoring as my number one hobby narrowly ahead of travel.

On the train ride from Lijiang to Dali I was seated in a compartment with my friend and four others. One of the group noticed I was studying Chinese and was eager to practice his English.  For the next two hours he acted as a translator between me and the three ladies he was with, keeping us all engaged in the conversation and making the train ride go faster.   He also reviewed the material I was studyin, using it as a quiz for both of us, I helped him with his English pronunciation and he corrected or completed my Chinese.  While I knew my pronunciations were not good enough to be understood without close attention and educated guesses it encouraged me that he was able to understand most of what I said and it gave me a chance to use some of what I had learned.  Then in Dali the new friend that my roommate made on the train acted as an interpreter between me and some Chinese tourists on a day trip in Dali, bridging the gap and allowing effective communication.  The amazing thing is both of these interpreters claimed that their English was too weak and asked forgiveness.   To both I replied I have nothing but gratitude and encouragement, from my point of view their English was more advanced then they understood.  Furthermore there was nothing to lose by trying but so much to gain.
Attitude : Life is 10 percent what happens to you,  and 90 percent how you react to it.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2013-12-29 12:12:37 |Display all floors
What impressed me most is my experience in college ,for the reason that i experienced a lot ,and became more mature,i exerted myself to do everything i need to do .
We i was in trouble ,i always said to myself:never give up hope,perhaps you will do wonders one day if you hang on!

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2013-12-29 16:25:04 |Display all floors
I knew many Malaysian  friends!!

Use magic tools Report

2016 Most Popular Member 2015 Most Popular Member 2014 Most Popular Member

Post time 2013-12-29 17:36:15 |Display all floors
What impressed me was the Support I received from the China Daily Forum, while I was ill. I would like to thank everybody for their kind and not so kind words, they where received very happily. I will not thank pond, the amount of problems he gave me. I still have the bruises from my wife. Good to be back. {:soso_e100:}

Xie Xie to all   

Use magic tools Report

2015 Most Popular Member

Post time 2013-12-29 21:33:48 |Display all floors
count me in

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2013-12-29 22:08:44 |Display all floors
Chinese football was as bad as usual and as exciting as never, the 1-5 loss to Thailand by China National Team and the victory of Asian Champions League by Guangzhou Evergrande are the two impressive things in 2013.

Use magic tools Report

You can't reply post until you log in Log in | register

BACK TO THE TOP
Contact us:Tel: (86)010-84883548, Email: blog@chinadaily.com.cn
Blog announcement:| We reserve the right, and you authorize us, to use content, including words, photos and videos, which you provide to our blog
platform, for non-profit purposes on China Daily media, comprising newspaper, website, iPad and other social media accounts.