Author: DSseeing

Are Chinese people the world's most materialistic?   [Copy link] 中文

Post time 2013-12-19 00:38:52 |Display all floors
jay_dee Post time: 2013-12-17 19:38
This deserves more discussion to be validated.
Things which are considered 'high face value' in Chin ...

The other group of people are those overnight rich ( I think the Chinese word is Tuhao) who again measure success in terms of material things. It is true that items of luxury can be considered as symbol of success but it is not the only criteria.  In china a illiterate laoban ( owner of small workshop) who is earning more then a highly educated professor may be considered more successful while in some other cultures/ countries the professor is considered successful and respected.
This phenomenon is more in China and other developing nation because of history , huge population living in poverty. I guess for a person who has gone through hardship in his life and has earned money with luck or hard work can only show it by flashing expensive car , houses and jewellery.
I personally find these kind of research useless because the people researching ( mostly European , USAnian) have no idea what exactly is going on other countries and why people are giving priority to material things....

Use magic tools Report

2016 Most Popular Member CD top contributor in April 2015 Most Popular Member Medal of honor Medal of honor

Post time 2013-12-19 10:45:07 |Display all floors
jay_dee Post time: 2013-12-18 08:05
You missed the point of this thread.

Deliberately   

Use magic tools Report

2016 Most Popular Member CD top contributor in April 2015 Most Popular Member Medal of honor Medal of honor

Post time 2013-12-19 10:46:11 |Display all floors
robert237 Post time: 2013-12-18 13:46
You touched a sore spot for these western propagandists. They hate to be called out on their habit ...

Twisting another thread round to your warped ideas I see Robert

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2013-12-19 10:48:58 |Display all floors
Laowai2? Post time: 2013-12-18 17:30
Your droning repetitive diatribe is the only sore spot here.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2013-12-19 17:22:29 |Display all floors
Well considering the fact that many or most chinese girls only date/marry men with money, car, good job and home. I believe this drives the want/need for materalistic items up. What ever happened to falling in love with someone because they make you laugh when your sad. Care for you for you, not for what you own. Share common interests. etc....
So my answer to this ? is yes I believe China to be a top candidate for the number one spot of most materialist countries
I am me and that is something you will never be, no matter how hard you try!!

Use magic tools Report

August's Best Contributor 2012 July's Best Contributor 2012

Post time 2013-12-20 15:16:28 |Display all floors
Then how do you guys measure success?
Life is what you make of it

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2013-12-20 21:00:29 |Display all floors
This post was edited by Andromeda-E.T. at 2013-12-20 22:41

I also own material things, like this computer.

Use magic tools Report

You can't reply post until you log in Log in | register

BACK TO THE TOP
Contact us:Tel: (86)010-84883548, Email: blog@chinadaily.com.cn
Blog announcement:| We reserve the right, and you authorize us, to use content, including words, photos and videos, which you provide to our blog
platform, for non-profit purposes on China Daily media, comprising newspaper, website, iPad and other social media accounts.