Views: 4648|Replies: 8

Are you satisfied with your holidays? [Copy link] 中文

Post time 2013-12-16 15:58:42 |Display all floors
Yesterday, I talked with my friend who works in US who told me 25-daypublic holiday. Hearing this, I am a little envious of him because Chinese onlyhave 13-day public holiday. But people form some European counties enjoy longerholidays. Look the following picture and you will find that most Europeans andAmericans have longer holiday than Chinese.

Chinese has 52 weekends and 13 publicholidays, but not all Chinese are fortunate to enjoy all holidays. A lot ofpeople have to work during weekends or even public holidays. The pressure from housingloan or living costs forces Chinese to work hard. What’s about you? Do you haveto work during weekends or holidays?

Use magic tools Report

2015 Most Popular Member Medal

Post time 2013-12-17 11:27:55 |Display all floors
Whoever you were talking to is a liar.
Almost all companies in the USA only give 10-12 holidays a year. Most only 10.
If capitalism promotes innovation and creativity then why aren't scientists and artists the richest people in a capitalist nation?

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2013-12-17 12:45:00 |Display all floors
When refered to the public holiday, maybe I am a fortunate one because I am still a student, and I can enjoy every legal holiday to the utmost. Some of my friends who have worked always complained that they were reminiscent of those wonderful days when their role was a student. Yeah, I can understand their feeling, after all, campus life usually tends to be more relax. which seemed further strengthen my decision to work as a teacher after finish my postgraduate study.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2013-12-17 15:03:36 |Display all floors
robert237 Post time: 2013-12-17 11:27
Almost all companies in the USA only give 10-12 holidays a ye ...

could it be you are the liar and not them?
Stan, you're holding a gun to God's head. I can't think of a metaphor that's better than this.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2013-12-18 02:31:17 |Display all floors
robert237 Post time: 2013-12-16 19:27
Almost all companies in the USA only give 10-12 holidays a ye ...

Exactly right and contrary to what some believe, there are no 'legal' required holidays, vacation days or sick days for 'private' employers. The U.S. is at the bottom of the list for time off. Especially paid time off.

Even if you are fortunate enough to work for one of the rare companies that, over time grants more than 2 weeks of paid vacation good luck trying to get approval to take more than 2 weeks together.
Proud supporter of Blessing Hands Charity.  https://sites.google.com/a/blessing-hands.org/blessing-hands/

Use magic tools Report

Glod Medal August's Best Writer 2012

Post time 2013-12-18 04:22:42 |Display all floors
only 13 days in China? I don't think so...
this is two weeks ONLY for the New Year National Holidays...  but what about Middle Autumn, May, Army Day, and other "customary day offs"? have You ever counted it in?

In Poland we have 3-4 weeks paid time off (vacation) a Year (depands how long You worked), not including national holidays.
But it is almost impossible to have more than 10-14 days in one time. Specially in the summer time ;)

What is REALITY (in Poland)? If You want to work (keep Your job position) - You have to take the days off only in the time when You employer agrees. No "fixed time holidays", sorry.

But the truth is, that in most of the companies (even a private owned enterprises) officially You HAVE TO (by the law) take day off at some national holidays like Christmass, New Year, Easter, May Hoilidays (Constitution Days), Independence Day, All Saints ... (sorry, I don't remember the other ones, but maybe I missed one or two).
The letter of law is however not always up to reality, if You get my drift.

Use magic tools Report

2015 Most Popular Member Medal

Post time 2013-12-18 10:11:33 |Display all floors
F111 Post time: 2013-12-16 23:03
could it be you are the liar and not them?

Could it be you know nothing about the USA?
If capitalism promotes innovation and creativity then why aren't scientists and artists the richest people in a capitalist nation?

Use magic tools Report

You can't reply post until you log in Log in | register

BACK TO THE TOP
Contact us:Tel: (86)010-84883548, Email: blog@chinadaily.com.cn
Blog announcement:| We reserve the right, and you authorize us, to use content, including words, photos and videos, which you provide to our blog
platform, for non-profit purposes on China Daily media, comprising newspaper, website, iPad and other social media accounts.