Views: 12373|Replies: 60

Nelson Mandela, a man who inspires the world   [Copy link] 中文

Post time 2013-12-6 08:16:59 |Display all floors

Former South African President Nelson Mandela died peacefully at his Johannesburg home on Thursday after a prolonged lung infection. After going through hardships, triumphs, tragedies and endure them all, Mandela became president of his country and like Ghandi, he brought peace back to South Africa. He was honored and admired by people all over the world, world leaders were inspired by Mandela and he was a teacher as well as father of South Africa. After years of being in prison and released from prison, he went back to his home country and repaired his home as best he could with what he had to work with. And always a statesman and a gentleman. God bless this great man for being part of people lives of all over the world. God Bless Nelson Mandela and God Bless the country and his people of South Africa.

You can join more discussions here:
The best song that tells who Nelson Mandela is
http://bbs.chinadaily.com.cn/forum.php?mod=viewthread&tid=915171&page=1&extra=#pid3371030
Nelson Mandela and China
http://bbs.chinadaily.com.cn/thread-915139-2-1.html
World Media React to Death of Nelson Mandela
http://bbs.chinadaily.com.cn/thread-915132-1-1.html
Nelson Mandela and public figures
http://bbs.chinadaily.com.cn/thread-915192-1-1.html

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2013-12-6 08:21:43 |Display all floors
1.jpg

Nelson Mandela, leader of the African National Congress (ANC), adopts a boxing pose, wearing shorts, t-shirt and boxing gloves, circa 1950. (Photo by Keystone/Hulton Archive/Getty Images)

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2013-12-6 08:22:42 |Display all floors
1.jpg

A qualified lawyer from the University College of Fort Hare and the University of Witwatersrand, Mandela's political career started in 1944 when he joined the African National Congress (ANC) and participated in the resistance against the then government¹s apartheid policy in 1948. Pictured:The three ANC Youth Leaders, Nelson Mandela, centre, Walter Sisulu, left, and Harrison Motlana, pictured in 1952 during the Defiance Campaign trial at the Johannesburg Supreme Court, South Africa. The Defiance Campaign encouraged blacks to defy apartheid laws.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2013-12-6 08:23:31 |Display all floors
1.jpg

In 1958, Mandela walked down the aisle with Winnie Madikizela, who stood by his side and actively campaigned to free him from prison. But the couple, who had two children, split up in 1992 on the grounds of her adultery. (Reuters)

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2013-12-6 08:24:05 |Display all floors
1.jpg

In 1961, Mandela founded Umkhonto we Sizwe, the armed wing of the ANC and was named its leader. In 1963, he was brought to stand trial along with many fellow members of Umkhonto we Sizwe for conspiring against the government and plotting to overthrow it by the use of violence. (Photo by Sowetan/Avusa Media Ltd/Gallo Images via Getty Images)

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2013-12-6 08:24:41 |Display all floors
1.jpg

In 1964, eight of the accused, including Mandela, were sentenced to life imprisonment. His statement from the dock at the opening of the defense trial became extremely popular. He closed his statement with: "During my lifetime I have dedicated myself to the struggle of the African people. I have fought against white domination, and I have fought against black domination. I have cherished the ideal of a democratic and free society in which all persons live together in harmony and with equal opportunities. It is an ideal which I hope to live for and to achieve. But if needs be, it is an ideal for which I am prepared to die."

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2013-12-6 08:25:13 |Display all floors
1.jpg

A rare photograph of Nelson Mandela working as a prisoner on Robben Island in 1977. (Photo courtesy Nelson Mandela Centre of Memory)

Use magic tools Report

You can't reply post until you log in Log in | register

BACK TO THE TOP
Contact us:Tel: (86)010-84883548, Email: blog@chinadaily.com.cn
Blog announcement:| We reserve the right, and you authorize us, to use content, including words, photos and videos, which you provide to our blog
platform, for non-profit purposes on China Daily media, comprising newspaper, website, iPad and other social media accounts.