Views: 5929|Replies: 29

Thailand Goes Back into the Time Tunnel - Riots Deja Vu. [Copy link] 中文

Post time 2013-12-2 06:33:38 |Display all floors
This post was edited by abramicus at 2013-12-2 10:46

Democracy, elections, were once the solutions proffered by the West for its "less advanced" Asian cousins, with the promise that democracy will prevent violent uprisings, because the people would have the ability to elect their government.

But in Thailand, demcoracy does not work.

Not if the minority takes to the streets to strangle the government they do not like, and then threaten to become violent, once their peaceful occupation of publiic buildings and government ministries was allowed on humanitarian grounds.

Five of the pro-democracy pro-government demonstrators who joined a rally supporting Yingluk were KILLED by the anti-government protesters, and dozens more were injured.  

The opposition should stop clamoring for the end of their elected government, because in the long run, they would be the ones disadvantaged by its absence, being the minority in a country with an awakened and increasingly impatient majority.  Winning the day is not the answer, to the question of surviving for many, many more tomorrows.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2013-12-2 11:27:24 |Display all floors
Parties linked to Yingluck’s brother Thaksin Shinawatra, who was ousted in a 2006 coup, have won the past five elections on support from the rural north and northeastern provinces. The protests in Bangkok are led by the Democrats, who haven’t won a national poll in more than 20 years.

Nothing more need be said

I've made my living, Mr. Thompson, in large part as a gambler. Some days I make twenty bets, some days I make none. There are weeks, sometimes months, in fact, when I don't make any bet at all because ...

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2013-12-2 11:33:14 |Display all floors
So who are these protestors?

These are the old elites, remnants of the old military dictatorships.

I've made my living, Mr. Thompson, in large part as a gambler. Some days I make twenty bets, some days I make none. There are weeks, sometimes months, in fact, when I don't make any bet at all because ...

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2013-12-2 11:55:17 |Display all floors
The King can order the nonsense to stop immediately.
BUT HE CANT OR WONT.

Because the King is surrounded by eunuchs.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2013-12-2 12:05:26 |Display all floors
Revolutionar Post time: 2013-12-2 11:33
So who are these protestors?

Their Army Chief reportedly told his Commander-in-Chief, PM Yingluck, that he cannot order his soldiers to fire at the protesters (public).  He may have a point, so how about stepping aside and letting the majority Red Shirts slug it out with the Yellow Shirts?  As the death toll climbs with the Yellow Shirts losing, being outnumbered 2:1, he might next say, he cannot stand by to see the anti-government protesters being beaten by the pro-government protesters.

In a true democracy, an officer who cannot enforce the law must resign, because his continued failure to enforce the law equates to being an accessory to a crime against the state, i.e., anarchy, which he might not want to be party to, seeing that he did not demand the resignation of the PM either.

Of course, Yingluck would not want to hurt the public who are mere pawns of the opposition and elite.  But if she lets the crooks and anarchists take over, the poor majority who pinned their hopes on the democratic government to defend their rights would be oppressed twice as severely, economically and militarily, henceforth.  Choosing to be lenient to the anti-government protesters may bring down a bloodbath on her own supporters.  Thus, she may have to break the protests with tear gases and truncheons so that the least number of casualties will occur.  The alternative is to see the majority deprived of their livelihoods, their popular leaders jailed or beaten, if not killed, and her country devolve into a bigger blood bath when a civil war may ensue.  No good choices.  Thailand was never a democracy.  It merely had the appearance of such.  Now, the ugly side is showing through, when a violent minority demands absolute political authority.

Somehow, this time, her Red Shirt majority is not as active on the streets as when she got elected.  That might be another reason for the confidence of the Yellow Shirts.  Her own party may have been infiltrated.  If so, she should resign her post to the Vice-Minister, and let him take care of the problem, because while her opponents may have lined up a number of turncoats against her, these same traitors may like her Vice-Minister for some other reason of their own, and be unwilling to do the will of the opposition.  Finding a successor who can keep the democracy alive, and one day pave the way for her own return, may be the best course.  Taking a detour may be more important than trying to climb over a mudslide.

Use magic tools Report

2015 Most Popular Member Medal

Post time 2013-12-2 12:07:58 |Display all floors
Revolutionar Post time: 2013-12-1 19:27
Parties linked to Yingluck’s brother Thaksin Shinawatra, who was ousted in a 2006 coup, have won th ...

Hey seneca, you forgot the "Me Tarzan, you Jane" writing style of your alter ego, revolutionar.
Did you forget to change handles before you answered the OP?
If capitalism promotes innovation and creativity then why aren't scientists and artists the richest people in a capitalist nation?

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2013-12-2 13:33:50 |Display all floors
robert237 Post time: 2013-12-2 12:07
Hey seneca, you forgot the "Me Tarzan, you Jane" writing style of your alter ego, revolutionar.  ...

And you are no moral immoral robot head

Use magic tools Report

You can't reply post until you log in Log in | register

BACK TO THE TOP
Contact us:Tel: (86)010-84883548, Email: blog@chinadaily.com.cn
Blog announcement:| We reserve the right, and you authorize us, to use content, including words, photos and videos, which you provide to our blog
platform, for non-profit purposes on China Daily media, comprising newspaper, website, iPad and other social media accounts.