Views: 10289|Replies: 8

Just my opinion [Copy link] 中文

Post time 2003-10-5 10:41:49 |Display all floors
I am not in the same position as most of the students who regularly subscribe to this forum as I am an English speaking native from the UK.  I try to be helpful where I can in the forum, but I too have had to master another continental language in the past, unfortunately it wasn’t Chinese.

The biggest aid to learning another language in my experience is to be living in the country, to be immersed in the environment of the language is certainly advantageous.  If you cannot live in the country, the next best thing in my opinion is to talk about subjects that you are familiar with.  

Have you ever noticed how you can always remember things that interest you?  Chinese computer programmers should talk to each other about computer programming; Chinese history students should talk about Chinese history etc, etc.  I think you will grasp English much quicker.

I always remember having to absorb Shakespeare at school, it was very difficult, having to recite page after page, but my mind was just photo-copying text from a book – I honestly didn’t understand it, but I passed the exam and I still do not know what it was that I read.  I know for a fact that it would have been much easier for me if I had to recite something that interested me personally.

So I say to you, talk to one another about subjects that you have knowledge of, you will find it easier and more fun.  Take the fun away and it becomes difficult, that is why I think that the Joke site on this forum is a good idea.  Everybody is familiar with the subject of jokes.

Trying to memorise words that you don't fully understand the meaning of is difficult, learn the easy words (for you that is), that interest you.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2003-10-5 10:56:48 |Display all floors

Good article!!! I will follow your advise. Thank you very much!!!

To my honesty,  You have make an useful advice.  especially  the last  paragraph is the best advice for me.  It's creative.

Use magic tools Report

redsky has been deleted
Post time 2003-10-5 18:45:45 |Display all floors

helpfull for me!!!

Reminder: Author is prohibited or removed, and content is automatically blocked

Use magic tools Report

maple2626 has been deleted
Post time 2003-10-6 09:03:09 |Display all floors

Interest is the best teacher!

Use magic tools Report

carolly has been deleted
Post time 2003-10-6 13:32:52 |Display all floors

Good ideas

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2003-10-7 22:11:41 |Display all floors

you are right

you are quite right, you give me much useful advise

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2009-9-3 01:39:42 |Display all floors
I am a computer programmer. Please feel free to talk to me about computer programming.

Use magic tools Report

You can't reply post until you log in Log in | register

BACK TO THE TOP
Contact us:Tel: (86)010-84883548, Email: blog@chinadaily.com.cn
Blog announcement:| We reserve the right, and you authorize us, to use content, including words, photos and videos, which you provide to our blog
platform, for non-profit purposes on China Daily media, comprising newspaper, website, iPad and other social media accounts.