Author: KIyer

In What Has My Country Failed In My Eyes?   [Copy link] 中文

Post time 2013-11-13 09:06:04 |Display all floors
KIyer Post time: 2013-11-13 05:43
It appears that so far, with all the visitors to this thread, only 3 countries have been identified  ...
or only Indians, Australians and USAnians (?) have visited this post

Please do not use that term 'usanian' - it is offensive and derogatory and uncalled for in this thread.  I didn't insult you.

No one in the U.S. calls the U.S.A 'oosa' or 'yoosa' or any form.  U. (yoo) S. (es)  A.  - three very distinct syllables and enunciated as such.  USA is not like NASA in which you can pronounce the acronym like a word.  So therefor,  'usanian' has no meaning or connection with U.S.A.  - it just doesn't roll off the tounge.  It looks strange and no american would accept it.

Furthermore, its offensive because the intent behind the term is to 'correct' some horrible injustice of american arrogance to call themselves a name of an entire continent...bla, bla, bla...

How about this - I see the naming of our country 'United States of AMERICA' a 'failure' for not being conducive to a better name for its citizens.  

Instead of insulting us and calling us arrogant, you could just as easily feel sorry for us for not having a better country name.

Whatever.........I just don't feel that I personally deserve (or anyone else for that matter) a 'usanian'.

Behold the turtle. He makes progress only when he sticks his neck out.

-  James Bryant Conant

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2013-11-13 09:58:06 |Display all floors
This post was edited by incarnationabc at 2013-11-13 09:58
seneca Post time: 2013-11-12 21:25
I wish the Asian also-rans would finally address their own shortcomings and brutal past that has o ...

Come on, Seneca.

Don't try to bash other countrie. And China is not yours.

Please it is your turn to honestly tell us how you are ashamed of your motherland. We love to feel for your sentiment
There is one spectacle grander than the sea, that is the sky; there is one spectacle grander than the sky, that is the interior of the soul.-Victor Hugo

Use magic tools Report

2015 Most Popular Member Happiest Member

Post time 2013-11-13 10:06:11 |Display all floors
JFenix Post time: 2013-11-13 11:06
Please do not use that term 'usanian' - it is offensive and derogatory and uncalled for in this  ...

i am sorry if it upset you that much, JFenix! I did not intend to offend you or the citizens of USA by using that term. I have seen it used by another member who i believe is from the USA and thought it interesting and somehow apt for people of the USA. I find the term Americans a bit confusing since it can rightly be used by all that live in the two continents of North and South America..
in many ways Indians too could be offended since so many natives of different countries and continents are called "Indians".. Just take it easy and sometimes one cannot control too much what others say or think.. cheers!
My friend the Black Swan

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2013-11-13 10:16:16 |Display all floors
KIyer Post time: 2013-11-13 10:06
i am sorry if it upset you that much, JFenix! I did not intend to offend you or the citizens of US ...
I find the term Americans a bit confusing since it can rightly be used by all that live in the two continents of North and South America..

First of all, I don't believe that you or anyone else can truly find it confusing.  Sorry, just going to have to call you out on that one.  Looks like you've been around a few years, enough to have listen to and read many media reports concerning the US and its people.  Every major medi outlet, including china daily, refers to US citizens as 'americans'.  Its the most accepted term universally.  

In turn, the term 'american' has also a negative connotation.  Canadians don't want to be called 'americans'.  Mexicans do want to become americans....but after they move here. lol  

What doesn't make sense is to use the term 'american' for an individual from both north or south america.  Its like calling someone 'eastern hemisphere'  or something like that - how non-descriptive could you be?  Two very distinct continents.  

So...I just can't buy that argument.   The intent is to shame.  There can be no doubt about that one.

Behold the turtle. He makes progress only when he sticks his neck out.

-  James Bryant Conant

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2013-11-13 10:30:01 |Display all floors
I am from India...my Country has not failed me but Countrymen( read : leadership) has failed me

Use magic tools Report

June's Best Writer 2012 2016 Most Popular Member

Post time 2013-11-13 11:30:06 |Display all floors
That's an interesting thread.

I'm from France and my country failed me in the way that it doesn't have enough of a backbone to stand up to my countrymen. France has a wonderful social system that is being used and abused and whenever the government wants to put a stop to it the people protest in mass and the government just accept the mob rule.

Unfortunately, same is true with international politics, France used to have values, used to have a long view and strong line. Now, what do we have ?
Spreading magic around the world since 2007.

Use magic tools Report

2015 Most Popular Member Happiest Member

Post time 2013-11-13 12:47:43 |Display all floors
This post was edited by KIyer at 2013-11-13 14:49
JFenix Post time: 2013-11-13 12:16
First of all, I don't believe that you or anyone else can truly find it confusing.  Sorry, just  ...

i am the only one who KNOWS my intentions, which was not to shame. I have used the term Americans too, but always at the back of my mind was the thought of them as Natives and people from other parts of the two continents. I think to many of us, it smacked of arrogance when the citizens of the USA called themselves Americans without consideration of the feelings of the rest. They called anyone 'indians' without consulting their feelings. I think it was one poster or member of this forum who thoughtfully came up with an unique identifier for the citizens of the USA. I think it is clever in absolutely a complimentary way. I have not seen other citizens of the USA complain about it, on this forum. It makes logical sense to come up with an unique, non-offensive and unambigous identifier for the citizens of the USA. What would you think it should be? Start another thread?
My friend the Black Swan

Use magic tools Report

You can't reply post until you log in Log in | register

BACK TO THE TOP
Contact us:Tel: (86)010-84883548, Email: blog@chinadaily.com.cn
Blog announcement:| We reserve the right, and you authorize us, to use content, including words, photos and videos, which you provide to our blog
platform, for non-profit purposes on China Daily media, comprising newspaper, website, iPad and other social media accounts.