Views: 10474|Replies: 44

Who's to blame for anti-mainland sentiment in Hong Kong?   [Copy link] 中文

Post time 2013-10-22 10:19:09 |Display all floors
I feel enraged that instead of showing any sympathy or compassion to the Chinese girl who died in a traffic accident, some Hongkongers turn to the cyberspace for venting their anger and resentment to their fellow Chinese. I do believe that there exists anti-mainland sentiment in Hong Kong, but I don't think that goes that far. Why does Hong Kong bite the hand that feeds it?
1.jpg

A photo of Liu Han posted on HKU100 Facebook page. Photo: Facebook screenshot
Stephanie Liu Han, a mainland-born HKU graduate living in Hong Kong, died on Tuesday after being hit by a truck. The story is a tragedy in and of itself, but asshole internet commenters, enraged at anything with the word "mainland" in it, have taken it upon themselves to make the situation even worse.

Hong Kong/China animosity is nothing new, but the responses to Liu's death have really ratcheted-up the levels of intolerence, as South China Morning Post excerpted:   
“Hongkongers have lost their sympathy [for Liu], but they made us feel that way,” said the post, which received 142 “likes” and 100 comments, most of which expressed negative feelings towards mainlanders.

"Truck driver, you've done a good job," one reader commented, who was rebuked by others who criticised the commentator for lack of compassion.

“What the Chinese people did in Hong Kong made every Hongkonger angry,” said one post on a Facebook page called “Refusing the mainlandisation of Hong Kong”, which had almost 9,000 followers, the day after Liu’s accident.

“I can only say it is indeed a tragedy, but compassion can’t make us ignore the fact that she came to Hong Kong to grab our education resources since she was not a permanent resident. Hope her family pays for the hospital fee; otherwise, it’s not fair to us taxpayers,” wrote “Sai Cheung”, another participant in the discussion.

“Actually, she is really lucky. If this had happened in the mainland, she would be dead already. At least in Hong Kong, she will be taken to the ICU!”, said a post under the name of “Rose Rosita”, which received 24 “likes”.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2013-10-22 10:54:27 |Display all floors
This post was edited by zjjhpj at 2013-10-23 09:00

If Hongkong left the mainland, nothing,and be responsible for everything

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2013-10-22 11:03:06 |Display all floors
Imperists will never admit failures.
Bravos

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2013-10-22 12:58:19 |Display all floors
Reminder: Author is prohibited or removed, and content is automatically blocked
Writer's real name is Lau Guan Kim.  lau_guan_kim is for commentary and analysis. He writes also under another alter ego jinseng. I will respond to good reasoned debate. Mudslingers shall be ignored. What I do not like are ignorance, stupidity, chauvinism and bigotry. The other party has as much right as I have until it resorts to insults and nuisance.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2013-10-22 13:49:00 |Display all floors
lau_guan_kim Post time: 2013-10-22 13:58
You learn your spelling and vocabulary from Big Mouth Seneca,  huh?

It takes about 40 muscles to smile, but only 4 to pull the trigger of a decent rifle

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2013-10-22 13:53:22 |Display all floors
robert237 Post time: 2013-10-22 11:57
It is the work of the same western propagandists that infest this forum.
The west lost their ability ...

just look at them screaming boys and girls regarding a TV license...
the Anglos trully losing it...
It takes about 40 muscles to smile, but only 4 to pull the trigger of a decent rifle

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2013-10-22 21:56:25 |Display all floors
lau_guan_kim Post time: 2013-10-22 12:58
You learn your spelling and vocabulary from Big Mouth Seneca,  huh?

It is a bait. I enjoy angling. So what?
Bravos

Use magic tools Report

You can't reply post until you log in Log in | register

BACK TO THE TOP
Contact us:Tel: (86)010-84883548, Email: blog@chinadaily.com.cn
Blog announcement:| We reserve the right, and you authorize us, to use content, including words, photos and videos, which you provide to our blog
platform, for non-profit purposes on China Daily media, comprising newspaper, website, iPad and other social media accounts.