Author: smuffy

Why Westerners usually think Asians are Chinese ?   [Copy link] 中文

Post time 2013-10-10 09:47:29 |Display all floors
robert237 Post time: 2013-10-10 09:31
I can't often tell which nation in Europe a white person came from just by looking.
For me it's a lo ...

You're being smart. But most people will always judge by your appearance.

Use magic tools Report

2015 Most Popular Member Medal

Post time 2013-10-10 09:59:30 |Display all floors
This post was edited by robert237 at 2013-10-9 17:59
smuffy Post time: 2013-10-9 17:47
You're being smart. But most people will always judge by your appearance.

Thank you. My wife was born in China and lived there for over 40 years but she can't even tell
just by looking sometimes. But in general the Chinese, Japanese, and Vietnamese have certain
characteristics that differ but there are so many exceptions you can never be sure.
One factor that might explain why so many westerners always think all Asians are Chinese is that
there is at least one Chinese restaurant in every little town across America. Not so with other
Asian food restaurants. You have to go to bigger cities to find Asian restaurants other than Chinese
as a rule.
If capitalism promotes innovation and creativity then why aren't scientists and artists the richest people in a capitalist nation?

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2013-10-10 10:04:11 |Display all floors
WhiteBear Post time: 2013-10-9 17:38
Yup. First to ask :)
In every case.

And when you ask some people are bound to get upset for whatever reason.
If capitalism promotes innovation and creativity then why aren't scientists and artists the richest people in a capitalist nation?

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2013-10-10 10:24:42 |Display all floors
robert237 Post time: 2013-10-10 09:59
Thank you. My wife was born in China and lived there for over 40 years but she can't even tell
just ...

Most asians look alike but its not difficult to tell east asians apart from southeast asians just by facial features. By the way, the Chinese food restaurant that Americans order is not authentic, is mostly cooked americanized, things like that.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2013-10-10 10:30:58 |Display all floors
smuffy Post time: 2013-10-9 18:24
Most asians look alike but its not difficult to tell east asians apart from southeast asians just  ...

I hear that Chop Suey was invented in California during the gold rush days of the mid 1800s.
The cooks in real Chinese restaurants would throw all their left-overs into a pot and serve it
to the hungry miners and they loved whatever it was they were fed. It was given the name Chop Suey
and the rest is history.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2013-10-10 10:53:19 |Display all floors
robert237 Post time: 2013-10-10 10:30
I hear that Chop Suey was invented in California during the gold rush days of the mid 1800s.
The c ...

Restaurants in China don't serve chop suey. It is not typical Chinese at all, but a dish invented in America for American tastes.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2013-10-10 11:14:19 |Display all floors
Actually,you are all need to know that the koreas,japs,are all chinese. In ancient china, our ancestor arrived these lands, multiplied them.Because why they are using same chinese word now, just different pronunciation.

Use magic tools Report

You can't reply post until you log in Log in | register

BACK TO THE TOP
Contact us:Tel: (86)010-84883548, Email: blog@chinadaily.com.cn
Blog announcement:| We reserve the right, and you authorize us, to use content, including words, photos and videos, which you provide to our blog
platform, for non-profit purposes on China Daily media, comprising newspaper, website, iPad and other social media accounts.