Author: lscat123

Why should I learn English?   [Copy link] 中文

2016 Most Popular Member CD top contributor in April 2015 Most Popular Member Medal of honor Medal of honor

Post time 2013-9-16 17:47:11 |Display all floors
Laowai2? Post time: 2013-9-16 15:48
So why not do us all a favour and stop using it....from NOW !!

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2013-9-16 20:44:29 |Display all floors
I'm pleased to see some enthusiasm for language learning as a way of connecting with people, rather than distancing oneself from others. Naturally, this suggests that one is interested in hanging out with certain people and not with others. English is a tool, as are all other languages. How this tool is used by you says more about you than it does about the language. I am a native speaker of three languages-and I say native because I learned all three well before my tenth birthday, so I think in these languages when I speak. I also speak, haltingly, in two others and am now trying my best to acquire a sixth language, Putonghua.
China has been assiduous in teaching Chinese people Engliish for one simple reason. As early as the nineteenth century, Chinese realized the future world would use English and after 1948, began efforts to acquaint citizens with its use. Especially in the last thirty years, English has, for many Chinese-particularly in a position to engage in global business-become a very useful tool, indeed. Unfortunately, as a few people here commenting have pointed out, the opportunities for SPEAKING English are often lacking in China. In Chaoyang, Liaoning, where I stayed, for a while, a pidgin English is taught, called "Chaoyang English", which makes it difficult, if not impossible to understand a native speaker like me. I tried to remedy that by recommending certain websites, but in reality, speaking the language is the best way to learn. Since we can't all just pick up and go to the country of our choice to learn the language, we have to develop ways of learning on the spot.
I'll recommend one website as the best I've found for learning the strange and wonderful music called English (just remember, it is the American version....). This website is also very useful for English speakers wanting to learn Putonghua, since the Chinese explanations for English meaning and pronunciations are very detailed and throrough. That website is http://www.51voa.com/ and there are various links to pages explaining all kinds of phrases, meanings and usages.
For those of you who recognize the importance of speaking, I highly recommend making friends with English speakers wherever you can find them. It won't be easy if you live outside large expatriate commmunities like Beijing, SZ, or GZ, but even among Chinese, there are excellent speakers of English.
Unfortunately, I have little time to spare to speak with more people than those I already speak with, or I would offer my help, but I'll come back here from time to time and answer any questions you might have and suggest books or websites to visit for more help.
Don't be discouraged!! Learning a language, especially after you are twenty or so, is harder, but I am sixty and I will learn Chinese, so I think you all can do the same and learn whatever languages you want. Use your time well.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2013-9-17 10:22:25 |Display all floors
futsanglung Post time: 2013-9-16 17:45
You do not really expect him to do that do you?

Some are Hard to come bye right?
Twentyfive percent out of nothing is still nothing!

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2013-9-17 10:41:16 |Display all floors
lscat123 Post time: 2013-9-15 22:13
How is your feeling of learning Putonghua? I guess that you learn it because of your interests!

It can be hard to remember the characters, but I'm getting better!
The car is red. I am not.

Use magic tools Report

2016 Most Popular Member CD top contributor in April 2015 Most Popular Member Medal of honor Medal of honor

Post time 2013-9-17 14:00:03 |Display all floors
RENREW Post time: 2013-9-17 10:22
Some are Hard to come bye right?

Oh his brain is soft for sure

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2013-9-17 15:10:14 |Display all floors
girdyerloins Post time: 2013-9-16 20:44
I'm pleased to see some enthusiasm for language learning as a way of connecting with people, rather  ...

sixth language?!
OMG, you're so talented in languages.
How could you posibly acquire so many lanuages>?
A child prodigy

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2013-9-17 15:23:00 |Display all floors
futsanglung Post time: 2013-9-17 14:00
Oh his brain is soft for sure

Just another Tofu issue.
Twentyfive percent out of nothing is still nothing!

Use magic tools Report

You can't reply post until you log in Log in | register

BACK TO THE TOP
Contact us:Tel: (86)010-84883548, Email: blog@chinadaily.com.cn
Blog announcement:| We reserve the right, and you authorize us, to use content, including words, photos and videos, which you provide to our blog
platform, for non-profit purposes on China Daily media, comprising newspaper, website, iPad and other social media accounts.