Author: linda_sun

Why do the Chinese eat everything?   [Copy link] 中文

Post time 2013-9-20 15:43:52 |Display all floors
Belgium
A few meat shops sold dog meat during the German occupation of Belgium in World war I, when food was extremely scarce.According to The New York Times, in the 19th century the Council of the Veterinary School of Belgium occasionally recommended dog meat for human consumption after being properly inspected.

Please don't shoot, I'm just a babe.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2013-9-20 15:45:52 |Display all floors
France
Although consumption of dog meat is not common in France, and is now considered taboo, dog meat has been consumed in the past. The earliest evidence of dog consumption in France was found at Gaullish archaeological sites, where butchered dog bones were discovered. Similar findings, corresponding to that time or earlier periods, have also been recorded through Europe. French news sources from the late 19th century carried stories reporting lines of people buying dog meat, which was described as being "beautiful and light

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2013-9-20 15:51:45 |Display all floors
Germany
Dog meat has been eaten in every major German crisis at least since the time of Frederick the Great, and is commonly referred to as "blockade mutton". In the early 20th century, high meat prices led to widespread consumption of horse and dog meat in Germany.
Dog meat has been prohibited in Germany since 1986.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2013-9-20 15:54:22 |Display all floors
Boilermaker21 Post time: 2013-9-9 20:18
I think it is admirable that the Chinese are not wasteful. On the other hand, I have no desire to ea ...

Yep count me in there.
Twentyfive percent out of nothing is still nothing!

Use magic tools Report

2016 Most Popular Member CD top contributor in April 2015 Most Popular Member Medal of honor Medal of honor

Post time 2013-9-20 16:01:25 |Display all floors
seneca Post time: 2013-9-20 15:55
If such problms develop it usually is man who encroaches on the animal kingdom.

Is that not the problem with much more than crocs? Man has been taking away natural habitats for millenia.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2013-9-20 16:33:18 |Display all floors
And in the US, The term "dog" has been used as a synonym for sausage since 1884 and accusations that sausage makers used dog meat date to at least 1845. The belief that sausages contained dog meat was occasionally justified.
In late 19th century, a cure for tuberculosis (then colloquially termed "consumption") using an exclusive diet of dog meat was tried.Reports of families eating dog meat out of choice, rather than necessity, were rare and newsworthy. Stories of families in Ohio and Newark, New Jersey who did so made it into editions of The New York Times in 1876 and 1885.

In the early 20th century, dog meat was consumed during times of food shortage

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2013-9-20 16:34:28 |Display all floors
And in the US, The term "dog" has been used as a synonym for sausage since 1884 and accusations that sausage makers used dog meat date to at least 1845. The belief that sausages contained dog meat was occasionally justified.
In late 19th century, a cure for tuberculosis (then colloquially termed "consumption") using an exclusive diet of dog meat was tried.Reports of families eating dog meat out of choice, rather than necessity, were rare and newsworthy. Stories of families in Ohio and Newark, New Jersey who did so made it into editions of The New York Times in 1876 and 1885.

In the early 20th century, dog meat was consumed during times of food shortage.

Use magic tools Report

You can't reply post until you log in Log in | register

BACK TO THE TOP
Contact us:Tel: (86)010-84883548, Email: blog@chinadaily.com.cn
Blog announcement:| We reserve the right, and you authorize us, to use content, including words, photos and videos, which you provide to our blog
platform, for non-profit purposes on China Daily media, comprising newspaper, website, iPad and other social media accounts.