The Difference Between China and The World   [Copy link] 中文

Post time 2013-8-19 12:34:40 |Display all floors
Reminder: Author is prohibited or removed, and content is automatically blocked

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2013-8-19 12:36:08 |Display all floors
Reminder: Author is prohibited or removed, and content is automatically blocked

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2013-8-19 13:22:30 |Display all floors
Sounds quite right. Maybe you've noticed something else too - vanity i.e. excessive pride. The co-relation of it, home is individual representation, un-shared so to speak but the public, i.e. outside of home, is shared by the masses hence not so individually representative. Maybe it explains a little more and in some ways it explains China's international policy!? Does your observation extends to places like Hong Kong and Chinese communities outside China?

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2013-8-22 22:15:07 |Display all floors
Hello again. Sorry I have been away for a couple of days and have only just come back to read your responses. Yes, in hindsight I didn't really write my article very well. I still stand by what I believe is the main difference between China and the rest of the world to be correct, but my way of explaining it was not good, kind of rambling, and yes, as one person mentioned, I do admit i have had one too many personal and frustrating experiences in dealing with many Chinese. These are where my observations come from as an outsider. Allow me to attempt to explain my observation in a different (hopefully better) way.

Again, the Chinese are a highly intelligent and smart people, I am in no way saying I am superior or any other country is superior to Chinese people, we are all exactly the same and I do not look down on China in any way at all, I look at the Chinese exactly the same as any other race of people. But these are genuine observations that I believe hold Chinese culture back. It's like a "habit" in your culture that has developed over many years, like someone who bites their nails as a child and then carries it into their adulthood and it becomes very hard to stop. This habit of obsessing over tiny little details instead of just  seeing the big picture sometimes is what holds Chinese culture back.

Here's another way to explain hopefully a bit better than last time...

Let's run through a typical day... You get up, get dressed, clean your teeth, have breakfast, go to work, go shopping, have lunch, have dinner, etc etc...

Most daily tasks are simply daily tasks that people just do, and the Chinese are exactly the same, but certain habits of your culture passed down over many generations tends to make these daily simple tasks take a lot longer and become a lot more complicated than what is considered "normal" by most other cultures (or first world cultures anyway, perhaps because you're still developing is the problem?)

You can't just go into a shop, get what you need, pay for it, and get out again to get on with your life. You still perform the task the same, but the process gets complicated, you start obsessing over brands and pricing and saving 10 cents and perhaps the shop next door might have that one better. Suddenly what is a simple quick and daily exercise becomes a major tiresome big complicated event. Yes, I know, there are certain elements of people in other cultures that also do this, but it is a minority, and no one does it to the extremes of the Chinese, you take it to another level above and beyond the rest of the world. You need to understand that most people don't really care, it's simply not that big a deal all these little things, it's not even something really in their mind, just get it, buy your crap and get out again, whatever, I've got other things to worry about. This is the difference.

You can apply this same example to a thousand other aspects of your culture, things that other people simply do without thinking, and you get yourselves stuck obsessing over tiny aspects of daily life that most people outside of your culture don't even think about.

Making a salad, give the fruit or veges a quick rinse, chop them up, thrown them in a bowl, add some dressing. Done! The Chinese will get stuck obsessively and slowly peeling the skin off every single grape for 45 minutes or something ridiculous, or obsessively finding some tiny speck on a cucumber or something. You just see things that the rest of the world don't see and in reality doesn't matter. Hours and hours of your daily lives and your culture gets wasted on all these tiny little garbage things.

I think this is where a lot of confusion from foreigners towards China comes from also. We all are not thinking of these things. Especially foreigners in China, we're all just walking around performing our daily tasks quickly and without even a thought, it's just the crap you do every day, and we get confused by the Chinese obsessing over bizarre things that to outsiders who have no understanding of your culture its actually very confusing. "Why on earth are you doing that?" is usually the first thought.

I was the same, but after years of exposure and getting to understand Chinese culture I started asking instead... "What has happened in their culture that causes them to do that?"

Chinese culture on the mainland is retarded by their anal retentive obsession with the tiny and trivial details of life which interferes with the bigger picture of their developing culture. This is further compounded by the government controlling information and making it harder to see other points of view.

I guess it is all part of the development of the culture, and it will still take a few more generations yet to get it right. The young people today are definitely seeing the big picture more than their parents, but that anal retentive obsessive element is still evident quite strongly. (again, most Chinese on this forum wont be like this, the affluent more privileged, I'm talking the general population)

Thank you again :)

Use magic tools Report

You can't reply post until you log in Log in | register

BACK TO THE TOP
Contact us:Tel: (86)010-84883548, Email: blog@chinadaily.com.cn
Blog announcement:| We reserve the right, and you authorize us, to use content, including words, photos and videos, which you provide to our blog
platform, for non-profit purposes on China Daily media, comprising newspaper, website, iPad and other social media accounts.