Author: Rearwindow

Difference between Chinese and Western Culture   [Copy link] 中文

Post time 2013-7-20 06:33:43 |Display all floors
Offer 3 times is the custom.
I'm just here for the money

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2013-7-20 08:17:34 |Display all floors
messi30 Post time: 2013-7-19 18:11
Probably you still don´t know much about Chinese culture yet.
What GL posted was a situation abo ...

Probably it's actually YOU who doesn't know much (anything?) about Chinese culture. In Chinese culture (and some other asian countries too like Korea, Philippines, Malaysia....) it is polite to say "no" when offered something as not to seem too eager to take it. When asked a second time, some will accept or enagte, again....on a third go, then they will say yes.
Three times is customary to ask a guest if they want something.......

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2013-7-20 10:55:59 |Display all floors
WhiteBear Post time: 2013-7-19 19:25
Yes, I heard about it. Some of my friends have to say "no" three times until They say "yes".
But m ...

You are right, most of them after insisting 3 times they will change their mind, some others never change their answer.
But in my experience here for many years, every where in China and with Chinese friends, employees, suppliers, students, wife´s relatives, all with different backgrounds, all of them have the same attitude. That´s the previous poster tried to said.
Denial, according the psychoanalysts, is one of the most primary mechanisms of defense. It consists in the attitude of denying or minimizing obvious facts of reality with which the individual can´t  cope or whose irresponsibility is unable to meet.

And I agree.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2013-7-20 11:18:05 |Display all floors
longzhou Post time: 2013-7-20 08:17
Probably it's actually YOU who doesn't know much (anything?) about Chinese culture. In Chinese cul ...

I suggest you to read well the posts 1 and 2, one more time you show your lack of understanding in this forum, (I have to pointed your out again) the replies in previous posts refers about Chinese people attitude, especially in the post 2, it´s common that kind of answers after a person offer something to other.

What you are talking is about the reasons of this attitudes and I agreed with you, why? because its true but it wasn´t the main point in this discussion. To add something you missing in your ¨marvelous¨ comment is not polite to lie, to deny or to pretend not to be eager to take what some people offer something. Talking with some close friends this attitude also means to ¨save face¨ as not to seen too eager to take  or accept something or the person is in need. That´s the main reason for this kind of absurd attitude but its their attitude and we should respect it.

So if you feel you know something about Chinese culture, think before  to talk or to  write something here.
The best attitude in a peson is when the person acts naturally for good or for bad regardless their origin.
Denial, according the psychoanalysts, is one of the most primary mechanisms of defense. It consists in the attitude of denying or minimizing obvious facts of reality with which the individual can´t  cope or whose irresponsibility is unable to meet.

And I agree.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2013-7-20 11:50:27 |Display all floors
In the West:
Children are encouraged to do things for themselves at an early age. For example, most children are encouraged to feed themselves, dress themselves, and entertain themselves for a short period of time by the time they are 2-3 years of age. This is meant to foster independence and also give parents a small amount of free time to complete other household tasks or care for their other children.

In the East:

Parents tend to assist their children with simple tasks much later in their childhood. I do not know the purpose of this, so I will not speculate. The first time I witnessed this was at the International school in which I work. Several of the children that attend the International school are ethnically Chinese, but have passports from Hong Kong. During lunch time, the children's grandparents came to school to help feed their grandchildren. The children's ages ranged from 6-8 years of age. I was completely shocked that an 8 year old child was being hand fed by his grandmother. In another instance, several of my husband's associates were completely floored that my 3 year old son could get dressed by himself. They made the statement that Chinese children are not capable of dressing themselves until about 5. Of course they are capable, but whatever.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2013-7-21 08:34:22 |Display all floors
I guess the difference between Chinese and Western Culture, is the same as Chinese, Japanese and Korean culture being the exactly the same

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2013-7-21 11:53:19 |Display all floors
The difference is chalk and cheese

Use magic tools Report

You can't reply post until you log in Log in | register

BACK TO THE TOP
Contact us:Tel: (86)010-84883548, Email: blog@chinadaily.com.cn
Blog announcement:| We reserve the right, and you authorize us, to use content, including words, photos and videos, which you provide to our blog
platform, for non-profit purposes on China Daily media, comprising newspaper, website, iPad and other social media accounts.