Views: 8247|Replies: 23

Swimming lessons in school ?   [Copy link] 中文

June's Best Writer 2012 2016 Most Popular Member

Post time 2013-7-13 12:03:22 |Display all floors
Hi boys and girls of the CD forum !

I have just read an article about 2 young women drowning in China and it seems none of the people around them knew how to swim properly. This is something I noticed a while ago, most of my Chinese friends can't swim. This was even worse when I was living in Taiwan as I only met very few islanders able to swim (which I remember I found weird, them being surrounded by water...).

My wife also cannot swim and she told me there aren't any swimming lessons in school in China.

I come from France where swimming lessons in school are compulsory (dating back to Charlemagne !). I even got my lifesaving certificate in school (granted I took an extra class and most French students do not do it) and was wondering if there were also swimming lessons in schools in other countries. I know they do in Spain and Portugal but am not familiar with other countries' school system.

Finally, do you think it would be a good idea to have swimming lessons as part of the physical education classes in China considering swimming is a very complete sport !
Spreading magic around the world since 2007.

Use magic tools Report

Glod Medal August's Best Writer 2012

Post time 2013-7-13 12:41:42 |Display all floors
In Poland swimming lessons are not compulsory, but most of the schools have it.

People in China are impressed if one can swim two lengths of the pool...
And when I go "swimming" with my friends - most of the people just play in the water, like in the hot springs.

I think, that when it is only possible - there should be the swimming lessons for kids. It is life-saving skill.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2013-7-13 13:43:12 From mobile |Display all floors
I do not agree.there are many swimming lessons when I am in university .

Use magic tools Report

June's Best Writer 2012 2016 Most Popular Member

Post time 2013-7-13 14:35:15 |Display all floors
dutway Post time: 2013-7-13 13:43

Sorry I should have been clearer. When I say school I mean "compulsory education". Everybody goes to school (I know there are exceptions to the rule), not everybody goes to university.
Spreading magic around the world since 2007.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2013-7-16 08:12:33 |Display all floors
We have swimming lessons, but it is treated as a joke.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2013-7-16 08:40:53 |Display all floors
dutway Post time: 2013-7-13 13:43

They should be given in primary school.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2013-7-16 09:40:02 |Display all floors
There are swimming lessons in my city, but I was very disappointed in how they were taught. The kids spent 45 minutes of the one hour lesson practicing strokes ON DRY LAND. They only spent 15 minutes in the water. All of the children panicked and sank immediately to the bottom. Then all of the parents berated the children telling them that they weren't paying attention to the teacher and that they were failures. I removed my kids from lessons and taught them on my own.

Use magic tools Report

You can't reply post until you log in Log in | register

BACK TO THE TOP
Contact us:Tel: (86)010-84883548, Email: blog@chinadaily.com.cn
Blog announcement:| We reserve the right, and you authorize us, to use content, including words, photos and videos, which you provide to our blog
platform, for non-profit purposes on China Daily media, comprising newspaper, website, iPad and other social media accounts.