Views: 4670|Replies: 14

Thanks to Seneca, my vocabulary trippled within 3 weeks   [Copy link] 中文

Post time 2013-7-9 10:03:05 |Display all floors
I thought I knew only 1500 English words. However, in reply to one of my questions, Seneca hinted that 'scare' and 'scary' are two different words though they share a common root. If so, my vocabulary is trippled, at least doubled.

According to my esitimation, if my vocabulary is doubled, I know 3000+ words. And if my vocabulary is trippled, I know at least 4500 words. I already know 'scar' and 'scare' are two different words and of course I will never confuse them.

Oh, I forgot to tell you I have learned about 100 new words here during the past 3 weeks. For example, the word 'bluebottle' came from Seneca's mouth in his reply and is a new word for me. The word reminds me of a poker game popular in my hometown, in which we had very strict rules against any mistakes or cheats. If one is caught to have committed any mistake, we say that the person has "eaten a bluebottle'. Great fun indeed, but I couldn't afford to love the game because I'm always careless and I hate bluebottles. It sounds too disgusting.

Thank you Seneca and other contributors, and thank you Chindaily forum where I live and learn day by day.
Bravos

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2013-7-9 12:46:29 |Display all floors
Thank you everyone here.
Bravos

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2013-7-11 21:04:15 |Display all floors
Am I not sincere enough? Nobody comforts me.
Bravos

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2013-7-12 08:35:08 |Display all floors

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2013-7-12 21:24:40 |Display all floors
Interesting. I also have 4 letters: e, o, l, v. What can you make out of them? I guess many of you only know how to make 'love' and nothing else.
Bravos

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2013-10-13 18:06:45 |Display all floors
Kbay Post time: 2013-7-12 22:10

You carry on buddying with this Seneca, your vocabulary may triple, but your brian will shrink o ...

"buddying with" ? u mean bravos n seneca r bossomy friends?

acc to seneca "bossom"refers to "breasts" {:soso_e144:}

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2013-10-13 18:17:53 |Display all floors
This post was edited by PhoebeChao at 2013-10-13 18:19
Oh, I forgot to tell you I have learned about 100 new words here
during the past 3 weeks. For example, the word 'bluebottle' came from Seneca's
mouth in his reply and is a new word for me. The word reminds me of a poker game
popular in my hometown, in which we had very strict rules against any mistakes
or cheats. If one is caught to have committed any mistake, we say that the
person has "eaten a bluebottle'. Great fun indeed, but I couldn't afford to love
the game because I'm always careless and I hate bluebottles. It sounds too
disgusting.

Thank you Seneca and other contributors, and thank you
Chindaily forum where I live and learn day by day.

dears bravos, it is our pleasure n u r most welcome to chinadaily forum every day to learn ur english. for me, i tried my best to help all english learners

btw, where is ur "hometown" that played the 'bluebottle' poker game n hv strict rules against cheaters?

Use magic tools Report

You can't reply post until you log in Log in | register

BACK TO THE TOP
Contact us:Tel: (86)010-84883548, Email: blog@chinadaily.com.cn
Blog announcement:| We reserve the right, and you authorize us, to use content, including words, photos and videos, which you provide to our blog
platform, for non-profit purposes on China Daily media, comprising newspaper, website, iPad and other social media accounts.