Author: xenophobia

it is 4:45 am China time, www.foxnews.com, USA censors free press ? [Copy link] 中文

Post time 2004-5-1 14:48:34 |Display all floors

Xenophobia - I suggest checking Canadian CBC, and CTV as well as British BBC

We have had shows that the US has tried to ban, but they can't because they don't run Canada.

Canada and Britain were greatly criticized by the US when we aired the Story of Jessica Lynch, it was not shown in the US. I'm quite sure  that in the near future the torture issue will be investigated and reported in Canadian and/or British documentaries, which I will admit can be somewhat controversial. But that's what documentaries are for, to get at the truth which many times can be disturbing.

CBC NewsWorld has some very interesting documentaries, as does our History Television, not to be confused with the US's History Channel.

Just to get an idea of the TV watchers in the US compared to Canada, the US government claims they had over 500,000 complaints over one boob flying out during a half time show. Canada had 50. It was no big deal up here.

II'll leave you a few links, you can check them out and decide for yourself.

Parent site - http://www.cbc.ca/

News site - http://www.cbc.ca/news/

Check at the top of each page, there are drop down lists under Radio, and Television for the different shows, for example "Newsworld" is in the drop down list for "Television"

History Television has transcripts and videos of past shows. They have done some really in-depth documentaries on issues like Iraq, Vietnam and Cuba, just to name a few .

Peek through their site at  http://historytelevision.ca/

I  also suggest BBC for a reliable news source.

Check their site at http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/default.stm  - BBC has links to video and audio at that link.

Hope this helps some in your search for balanced news.

Dave from Canada (2:30am in Ontario)

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2004-5-1 17:12:03 |Display all floors

Talking about some sick women

These American women play soldiers.

They are not real soldiers.

They are just sadistic hookers in uniform, and are a disgrace to the Flag.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2004-5-1 17:59:50 |Display all floors

To Justcanadian

I did make frequent visits to cbc.ca to look for something different from some major US news sites.

I'd also like to have BBC as a 'reliable' news source. But unfortunately, it's World News website, except  Home Page & Learning English, has been blocked in China by the government internet services here for some years.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2004-5-1 18:23:12 |Display all floors

Shame in Iraq

20040501182312f13a.jpg

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2004-5-1 18:24:09 |Display all floors

Shame in Iraq

20040501182409cbd5.jpg

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2004-5-1 18:25:53 |Display all floors

Shame in Iraq

20040501182553f2d7.jpg

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2004-5-1 18:49:07 |Display all floors

"censorship"??

If the U.S. government had had its way, none of us would have ever seen these pictures.  The Pentagon "requested" that CBS not show the pictures on T.V.  Fortunately, the U.S. government does not have the power to censor the media, and the pictures were shown on the television newsmagazine "60 Minutes II" last week despite the Pentagon's request.

If the story is not on Fox News, then it's because Fox News chooses not to run the story, not because the governemnt does not allow it.

However, Fox News is not the only media available to people in the U.S.  There's also CBS News (which originaly broke the story), NBC News, ABC News, CNN, MSN News, the Associated Press, etc., plus numerous independent newspapers, television stations, radio stations, and websites.

How many media outlets are there in China?

I can think of Xinhua and CCTV, <font size="3">what else is there?

D.H.

Use magic tools Report

You can't reply post until you log in Log in | register

BACK TO THE TOP
Contact us:Tel: (86)010-84883548, Email: blog@chinadaily.com.cn
Blog announcement:| We reserve the right, and you authorize us, to use content, including words, photos and videos, which you provide to our blog
platform, for non-profit purposes on China Daily media, comprising newspaper, website, iPad and other social media accounts.