Views: 8131|Replies: 10

[Original]Why always put China before a name or a place [Copy link] 中文

June's Best Writer 2012 2016 Most Popular Member

Post time 2013-6-26 12:38:04 |Display all floors
I have been wondering this for a long time, why is it that in the newspapers, the Internet or even the tourism office people often write China before a name or a place.

I take this article as an example : http://www.chinadaily.com.cn/spo ... ontent_16659014.htm

Djokovic, Williams and China's Li win openers. Why not Serbia's Djokovic, US' Williams ? I often travel by train in China and the train station always state "welcome to China [name of the city]". I mean, I know I am in China, why the reminder ?

I often read things such as "China's Li Na", "China's Yao Ming", or, even funnier, during a G8 summit I read "China's Hu Jintao" (obviously this was a while back).

I find it very interesting because in my country, if anything, people would write things like "US president Barack Obama, China's president Xi Jinping, and Francois Hollande" because, obviously, we know who our president is.

Is it a way to show that the individual is not as important as the country (meaning country comes first) ? Is it just a tradition ?
Spreading magic around the world since 2007.

Use magic tools Report

August's Best Contributor 2012 July's Best Contributor 2012

Post time 2013-6-26 14:22:58 |Display all floors
I guess it correctly. China owns everything.
We were educated that country's interests should be placed higher than anything else.

That would explain I think
Life is what you make of it

Use magic tools Report

June's Best Writer 2012 2016 Most Popular Member

Post time 2013-6-26 16:30:29 |Display all floors
DSseeing Post time: 2013-6-26 14:22
I guess it correctly. China owns everything.
We were educated that country's interests should be ...

The thing is I can understand if they write "China's Taiwan" or "China's Diao Yu Dao" since, well, they need to show their stance, but why write "China's Xi Jinping" or (I've seen it before) "China's Beijing". Is there anyone claiming Beijing does not belong to China ?
Spreading magic around the world since 2007.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2013-6-26 22:32:18 |Display all floors
Is it a way to show that the individual is not as important as the country (meaning country comes first) ? Is it just a tradition ?

You are right in that assertion..........it reeks of ''these''people and every conjecture it attracts. The refuge of people that won't stand up to scrutiny as individuals.
No, I live above Sunset Plaza, it's a little house I rent and it's a little rundown but has a beautiful view, what about you?

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2013-6-28 09:03:05 |Display all floors
I think it's a bit insulting, especially to the people who have "China's" written or announced before their name.  As in the sporting events, I find this all too common.  There are so many players at Wimbledon, for instance, I've never heard of before, but if I find it necessary to know what country they are from, it's not that hard to use 'search' on the Internet.  When it comes to many sports, it is the athlete who is important.  Most are individual efforts.  For instance, when Nadal wins a tennis match, it is NOT Spain that wins, but Nadal.  I think this is simply a way to promote other interests than the athlete and his/her ability and success.  How many people today must be reminded that a successful star like Li Na must be called "China's LiNa"?  She's winning her matches on the court alone.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2013-6-28 10:52:07 |Display all floors
I know why. Some famous Chinese athelets and celebrities gave up their Chinese nationality. They are now American, Sinaporean, Japanese...but they still known in Chinese name.

To write China's Xi Jinping, to tell you Xi has not changed nationality yet.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2013-6-30 15:28:50 |Display all floors
Good observation

Maybe is a way to remark certain nationalism in each place, people or activity in China.
Denial, according the psychoanalysts, is one of the most primary mechanisms of defense. It consists in the attitude of denying or minimizing obvious facts of reality with which the individual can´t  cope or whose irresponsibility is unable to meet.

And I agree.

Use magic tools Report

You can't reply post until you log in Log in | register

BACK TO THE TOP
Contact us:Tel: (86)010-84883548, Email: blog@chinadaily.com.cn
Blog announcement:| We reserve the right, and you authorize us, to use content, including words, photos and videos, which you provide to our blog
platform, for non-profit purposes on China Daily media, comprising newspaper, website, iPad and other social media accounts.