Author: vincent01

Should we ban dog meat festival?   [Copy link] 中文

2016 Most Popular Member CD top contributor in April 2015 Most Popular Member Medal of honor Medal of honor

Post time 2013-7-10 16:57:51 |Display all floors
Yogesh Post time: 2013-7-10 16:55
Point. But it seems the advisory contains list of insects also and perhaps some recipes to  cook th ...

Maybe we should stop wasting so much normal food before we go to those extremes.   

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2013-7-10 17:04:00 |Display all floors
futsanglung Post time: 2013-7-10 13:57
Maybe we should stop wasting so much normal food before we go to those extremes.

Another problem is that most countries having agricultural produce larger than their own needs do not give it away for free to starving people. Many of them throw it away. India does not have enough storage facility and proper management to handle them. It costs the government very dearly. Hundreds of tons of grains and other agri products rot in open but they don't seem to bother about giving it away for free to poor.
In short, if the bureaucrats and politicians become sensitive for the problem of starvation and its root causes, we can solve the food problem at large on earth.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2013-7-10 18:40:39 |Display all floors
seneca Post time: 2013-7-10 13:26
Save your spittle - you need it to grease your tongue before eating raw Sichuan chili.

You have  ...

You aspire to justify the eating of cow meat by presenting the benefits of eating cow meat even saying that dog meat could be worm ridden? But pathetic a creature as you are, you have completely failed to grasp that the point is about the double standard that some people place on others as with regard with the killing of animals and the types of meats deem edible by humans.

You are so misguided by your cultural righteousness and that you to react like Dracula on seeing the light of day.

Your view about the consumption of cow meat may be deeply offensive to many Hindus. Do you not realize that how sacred cows are in India? But I am not about to say that the eating of cow meat is wrong just because it is a terrible thing in India.  

In the West, the cow is widely considered as nothing better than walking hamburgers, in India, the cow is believed to be a symbol of the earth - because it gives so much yet asks nothing in return.
Because of its great economic importance, Indians believe it makes good sense to protect the cow. Mahatma Gandhi, who fought the British imperialists through non violent means, became a vegetarian because he felt cows were ill-treated. Such is the kind of respect for the cow that even scholars like Jeaneane Fowler noted in her book on Hinduism that India had offered to take in millions of cows waiting for slaughter in Britain as a result of the crisis in beef production in 1996. This is humanity of the highest form.

Before anyone loses sight of the issue, the point is that if one justifies the eating of one meat over another, then that person is playing God. The Jews have a long list of what can be eaten and what cannot. Some Christians also practiced what is forbidden to eat in the bible. The Muslims have their own and so on.

But we are living in a secular society, not a religious one. So those who proclaim what can be eaten or otherwise had better shut up.

If one talks about a better method of farming the animals or a more merciful method of slaughter – it is still killing – then perhaps it makes more sense. But it will make no sense to staunch animal right activists or the militant vegetarians. That, of course, is another issue.

The consumption of dog meat has a long history in China and Korea. I don’t think anyone has the authority to say that this practice has to stop. It is like saying that lambs cannot be eaten because they are harmless, so adorable and so beautiful. Or cow meat should stop because it is a sacred animal.
"All warfare is based on deception. Hence, when we are able to attack, we must seem unable; when using our forces, we must appear inactive; when we are near, we must make the enemy believe we are far.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2013-7-10 19:26:28 |Display all floors
Reminder: Author is prohibited or removed, and content is automatically blocked
Writer's real name is Lau Guan Kim.  lau_guan_kim is for commentary and analysis. He writes also under another alter ego jinseng. I will respond to good reasoned debate. Mudslingers shall be ignored. What I do not like are ignorance, stupidity, chauvinism and bigotry. The other party has as much right as I have until it resorts to insults and nuisance.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2013-7-10 19:28:05 |Display all floors
Reminder: Author is prohibited or removed, and content is automatically blocked
Writer's real name is Lau Guan Kim.  lau_guan_kim is for commentary and analysis. He writes also under another alter ego jinseng. I will respond to good reasoned debate. Mudslingers shall be ignored. What I do not like are ignorance, stupidity, chauvinism and bigotry. The other party has as much right as I have until it resorts to insults and nuisance.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2013-7-13 14:25:29 |Display all floors
Yogesh Post time: 2013-7-10 16:20
There are a few maniacs and sick people in the world. It is not necessary to know all such stuff a ...

Thank you. I will ignore that. I won't let it influence my mood.

Use magic tools Report

You can't reply post until you log in Log in | register

BACK TO THE TOP
Contact us:Tel: (86)010-84883548, Email: blog@chinadaily.com.cn
Blog announcement:| We reserve the right, and you authorize us, to use content, including words, photos and videos, which you provide to our blog
platform, for non-profit purposes on China Daily media, comprising newspaper, website, iPad and other social media accounts.