Views: 8032|Replies: 33

Sunnylands in Desert--where President Obama meets President Xi [Copy link] 中文

Post time 2013-6-8 15:04:24 |Display all floors
This post was edited by nealrussel at 2013-6-8 15:05

The White House announce that President Obama meets with President Xi Jinping of the People’s Republic of China on June 7-8 in California, at Annenberg Estate(Sunnylands).

Sunnylands locates in Rancho Mirage, California, 0.18 square kilometers wide.

source:news.qq.com

1.jpg
let me know if U like tennis

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2013-6-8 15:05:46 |Display all floors
The Declaration of Trust created by Walter and Leonore Annenberg directs that Sunnylands be used by the President of the United States and the Secretary of State to bring together world leaders to promote peace and international agreement.
2.jpg

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2013-6-8 15:06:14 |Display all floors
In the mid-1960s, Walter and Leonore Annenberg hired Los Angeles-based architect A. Quincy Jones (1913-1979) to create a midcentury modern residence in Rancho Mirage. Jones, who for many years was dean of the School of Architecture at the University of Southern California, was known both for designs that integrated houses into the landscape and for "statement roofs." His signature style is evident at Sunnylands, where he used overhangs to shield the interiors from the direct sun, plus walls of glass to allow the climate's brightness to fill the rooms. Leonore Annenberg's deep love of flowers and nature is reflected in the cactus and rose gardens that abut the house and terrace. Interior rooms flow into each other with the same open expansiveness as the surrounding landscape.

In January, 1974,President Richard Nixon drafts his final State of the Union Address while visiting Sunnylands.
3.jpg

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2013-6-8 15:06:41 |Display all floors
The Annenbergs left all but their Impressionist and Post-Impressionist painting collection at Sunnylands so visitors can enjoy the full-range of artworks originally installed at the historic house. Among the fine art on view are works by Yaacov Agam, Harry Bertoia, Jean Arp, Emile Gilioli, Pablo Picasso, Jacques Villon, Andrew Wyeth, Romare Bearden, and Jean Fautrier.
4.jpg

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2013-6-8 15:07:23 |Display all floors
Many key figures of the 20th century enjoyed relaxing as guests at Sunnylands. The list includes seven U.S. presidents, the British royal family, and Hollywood icons like Bob Hope, Frank Sinatra, Jimmy Stewart, Ginger Rogers, and many others.
5.jpg

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2013-6-8 15:07:46 |Display all floors
The Annenberg Foundation Trust at Sunnylands was founded in 2001 to address important issues facing the nation and the world. The Trust established The Annenberg Retreat at Sunnylands to serve as a sanctuary for generations of high-level national and world leaders seeking the privacy, the peace, and "the pause" needed to address the most pressing issues of the day.
6.jpg

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2013-6-8 15:08:08 |Display all floors
A new addition to Sunnylands is the 17,000-square-foot Sunnylands Center. Free and open to the public Thursdays through Sundays, this new building is where visitors can learn more about Walter and Leonore Annenberg and their commitment to serving their country, to philanthropy, to education, and to the arts.  
7.jpg

Use magic tools Report

You can't reply post until you log in Log in | register

BACK TO THE TOP
Contact us:Tel: (86)010-84883548, Email: blog@chinadaily.com.cn
Blog announcement:| We reserve the right, and you authorize us, to use content, including words, photos and videos, which you provide to our blog
platform, for non-profit purposes on China Daily media, comprising newspaper, website, iPad and other social media accounts.