Author: futsanglung

[Original]Foreign brands in China   [Copy link] 中文

Post time 2013-6-9 10:37:09 |Display all floors
I am not Robert, but obviously you guys have never been outside China. These same behaviours happen all over the world. "Some" women enjoy overpriced purses with stamp branded all over it. I believe Tommy Hilfilger started this Billboard Clothing branding trend. Ask Americans why "some" of them buy toyotas or Hyundais or in your case choose Chinese wives.  Problem 1 - You're stereotyping. 100% of the Chinese do not believe expensive is better. Some of them can't even afford expensive.  Also, Western Products are not attractive to 100% of Chinese people. Li Ning and Shuang Feng now Lenovo erke amongst other brands are "popular" throughout the country.  A more dynamic question is where does materialism in "some" people begin. And you'll never know the answer, because everyone has a different story. Some people buy ford, because their parents bought fords, some people because they wanna buy American, some people because of the price.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2013-6-9 11:07:40 |Display all floors
futsanglung Post time: 2013-6-7 15:20
Face, something else I do not fully understand. Clothing from Western names is overpriced and unle ...

underwear, yeah  it's right.  this because in china, almost people think the Western brand things are better than chinese, even a underwear, when they wear some Western brand things, they will think they will become a big person. this is just a vanity!

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2013-6-9 11:09:42 |Display all floors
futsanglung Post time: 2013-6-7 15:36
I know the ways, I have a Chinese wife, what I do not understand is the need for this kind of face ...

yeah  it's face   Face is very important in china, you can lack of money, but can't lack of Face!  you have a chinese wife, I think you should know that!

Use magic tools Report

August's Best Contributor 2012

Post time 2013-6-9 11:11:34 |Display all floors
seneca Post time: 2013-6-9 11:06
It is understandable that Chinese show a keen interest in foreign brands since their government is ...

I've never heard of buy national policy. Did you mean the government? Oh no, the government departments prefer the foreign brands.

Use magic tools Report

August's Best Contributor 2012

Post time 2013-6-9 11:18:17 |Display all floors
seneca Post time: 2013-6-9 11:06
It is understandable that Chinese show a keen interest in foreign brands since their government is ...

In the case of cars, foreign brands account for ninety percent of China's official cars or those purchased by government departments for official use.

Use magic tools Report

2016 Most Popular Member CD top contributor in April 2015 Most Popular Member Medal of honor Medal of honor

Post time 2013-6-9 12:43:50 |Display all floors
rdsweet Post time: 2013-6-9 10:37
I am not Robert, but obviously you guys have never been outside China. These same behaviours happen  ...

I agree that not all Chinese buy expensive but it is an increasing trend. I realise it happens worldwide but think it is a bad thing wherever it happens.

Regarding many Chinese can not afford expensive you are right but some will even if they can not afford it, one of my ex employees purchased an Iphone at a time when he was in debt to his landlord and when I asked why he had done it he said " so my friends can see it" not a sensible attitude and these ideas are becoming more common.

My daughter comes home from school asking for branded goods as her friends have all got them, this peer pressure is increasing and is not good.

You mention Chinese own brands, well some of these are also overpriced in relation to the quality, such as Li-ning, again they sell on the name not the product.

Use magic tools Report

2016 Most Popular Member CD top contributor in April 2015 Most Popular Member Medal of honor Medal of honor

Post time 2013-6-9 12:45:21 |Display all floors
seneca Post time: 2013-6-9 11:04
No, no - as a student I was lucky to own a two-stroke engine moped. The Deux-Chevaux were for my " ...

I graduated from a moped to a motorbike and onto a Reliant 3 wheeler as I could drive that on my motorbike licence, I would have rather had a Geely!

Use magic tools Report

You can't reply post until you log in Log in | register

BACK TO THE TOP
Contact us:Tel: (86)010-84883548, Email: blog@chinadaily.com.cn
Blog announcement:| We reserve the right, and you authorize us, to use content, including words, photos and videos, which you provide to our blog
platform, for non-profit purposes on China Daily media, comprising newspaper, website, iPad and other social media accounts.