Author: futsanglung

[Original]Foreign brands in China   [Copy link] 中文

Glod Medal August's Best Writer 2012

Post time 2013-6-8 15:09:18 |Display all floors
This post was edited by WhiteBear at 2013-6-8 15:27
futsanglung Post time: 2013-6-8 15:01
Is this marketing the same as brainwashing?

exactly

(edit)
...or maybe not quite "exactly". Because "halo" we build on our own values. Now it depands if we accept "values" provided by marketing/brainwashing as own. If not - there is no effect. If yes - we add this "halo value" in some situation.
Marketing sometimes uses the same tools as brainwashing does, but unlike some highly invasive brainwashing methods - we can always stay away from the influence (we are not closed in the room with the TV fixed on brainwashing channel).

example - car brand like Chevrolet.
They have "Corvette". Some people like Corvettes and then add the "halo efect" of the Corvette to any other car branded "Chevrolet" (for example when buying ex-Daewoo models)

Or an example from the Europe - Saab (ok, this is example from the past).
Saab was adding "halo effect" of a military fighter planes to Their cars.
In TV ads You could see the fighters flying over the car...

Now some people see "american product", or "european product".Some of Them buy it because "America" or "Europe" gives Them "positive halo" effect.

Some people will not buy a Chinese powdered milk, because "melamine swindle" gives "negative halo" effect on a powdered milk made in China.

Use magic tools Report

2016 Most Popular Member CD top contributor in April 2015 Most Popular Member Medal of honor Medal of honor

Post time 2013-6-8 15:34:10 |Display all floors
WhiteBear Post time: 2013-6-8 15:09
exactly

(edit)

What puzzles me is that some of the popular products have little advertising. The likes of Pepsi Apple and  Coca Cola are advertised everywhere but many others are only advertised at or near point of sale but they still become cult items, sometimes held in higher regard in China than they are in their home country.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2013-6-8 15:39:39 |Display all floors
This post was edited by WhiteBear at 2013-6-8 15:41
futsanglung Post time: 2013-6-8 15:34
What puzzles me is that some of the popular products have little advertising. The likes of Pepsi A ...
sometimes held in higher regard in China than they are in their home country.

and that's the point

They wear "halo" of own country, and in many cases - "halo of a successful owner".
It is like a talisman.
Some people made big money so They buy expensive "something" branded LV.
So LV begins to wear "halo" of the people with big money.
So some people think (or not think, but do): "if I'll buy LV - I'll be the same!"
Then the "snowball effect" begins...

Use magic tools Report

2016 Most Popular Member CD top contributor in April 2015 Most Popular Member Medal of honor Medal of honor

Post time 2013-6-8 15:41:52 |Display all floors
WhiteBear Post time: 2013-6-8 15:39
and that's the point

They wear "halo" of own country, and in many cases - "halo of successful o ...

Am I glad I have not caught this bug

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2013-6-8 15:48:58 |Display all floors
This post was edited by WhiteBear at 2013-6-8 15:51
futsanglung Post time: 2013-6-8 15:41
Am I glad I have not caught this bug

Everybody "catches" some bugs. And usually we are not aware of it.

But not every "halo" is harmful, not every "halo" is a manipulation tool.
For example I like mountains, and if I'll see two stones - one from the mountains, second one from the seaside - It's possible that I'll like the one from the mountains more.
Pictures - I like portraits. So even if I'll see some technical faults - I'll not take much care and will still like this picture.

Or more common case - "family love halo".
You like an old book not because You like the writing inside, but because it belonged to Your father or mother. It have "halo" of Your father or mother.

I don't think that You are the person "resistant" to this kind of "halo"
Once I helped some old man on the street. Not because He especially needed my help, but because He looked like my father.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2013-6-8 19:15:37 |Display all floors
This post was edited by WhiteBear at 2013-6-8 19:16
seneca Post time: 2013-6-8 18:45
Come on! You are not telling me a Chinese knock-off of a T-shirt or Prada bag has the same quality ...

Some Chinese products are "evident" fakes but not all. It  is very visible, right.

Medium - price level items are the same quality than ones with "original brand" (western company brand like Adidas for example). But are much cheaper.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2013-6-8 19:37:29 |Display all floors
seneca Post time: 2013-6-8 18:45
Come on! You are not telling me a Chinese knock-off of a T-shirt or Prada bag has the same quality ...

I do not remember saying that but many of the items bought are not seen by most people so the show off factor is irrelevant.

Use magic tools Report

You can't reply post until you log in Log in | register

BACK TO THE TOP
Contact us:Tel: (86)010-84883548, Email: blog@chinadaily.com.cn
Blog announcement:| We reserve the right, and you authorize us, to use content, including words, photos and videos, which you provide to our blog
platform, for non-profit purposes on China Daily media, comprising newspaper, website, iPad and other social media accounts.