Author: linda_sun

Why don't Hong Kongers think of themselves as Chinese?   [Copy link] 中文

Post time 2013-6-7 02:10:45 |Display all floors
they r just wasp worshippers. they hate china as well.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2013-6-7 03:40:27 |Display all floors
jay_dee Post time: 2013-6-6 16:49
All of the TW and most of the HK people I know don't want to be pidgeon-holed as being Chinese. They ...

many of these TW and HK'ers worship and copy Euro/Americans and adopt western names - many which are rediculous, like Rainbow, Adonis, Fruit, etc.etc.   This is what the Jews call self-hating.  Urban mainland Chinese are now also following the same white-worshipping trends.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2013-6-7 03:56:18 |Display all floors
Pond Post time: 2013-6-5 02:24
They see themselves as part of the British Commonwealth.

I know two people from Hong Kong - two co-workers. One is now an American citizen but viewed herself as part of the British Commonwealth and during the transition of HK to Chinese rule she opted to become a British subject. The other one views herself as Chinese and during the transition took Chinese citizenship.

They're both college-educated.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2013-6-7 04:03:44 |Display all floors
msrong Post time: 2013-6-6 14:40
many of these TW and HK'ers worship and copy Euro/Americans and adopt western names - many which a ...

I agree that may of the "English" names adopted by Chinese folks seem a bit odd, but perhaps they did not have a native English-speaker help them with the name.

I have a Chinese name because my "English" name (which is actually Welsh, not English) is very difficult for Chinese people to pronounce correctly. A Chinese friend gave me my Chinese name, and it is a normal 1-character-surname 2-character-given-name name, so it looks just like a normal Chinese name.

I think Chinese people should just use their Chinese names in Pinyin when writing in English, but for those of use with names that have sounds that don't exist in Chinese, it's difficult to write our names in Chinese characters. Thus, to me it makes sense to have a Chinese name.

(It's funny, though, that some of my Chinese friends use my Chinese name even when speaking with me in English.)

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2013-6-7 04:09:02 |Display all floors
querist Post time: 2013-6-7 03:56
I know two people from Hong Kong - two co-workers. One is now an American citizen but viewed herse ...

It is a very personal thing, how they view themselves

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2013-6-7 04:11:13 |Display all floors
Pond Post time: 2013-6-6 15:09
It is a very personal thing, how they view themselves

Quite true, and I realize that N=2 is hardly a statistically significant sample in this case, but I did find it interesting that of the two people I know from Hong Kong, one was on each side of the issue when the survey showed such a significant disparity between the two viewpoints.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2013-6-7 04:23:03 |Display all floors
querist Post time: 2013-6-7 04:11
Quite true, and I realize that N=2 is hardly a statistically significant sample in this case, but  ...

I am talking to Chinese students who don' want to return to china when their degree is finished . They want to stay in Australia

Use magic tools Report

You can't reply post until you log in Log in | register

BACK TO THE TOP
Contact us:Tel: (86)010-84883548, Email: blog@chinadaily.com.cn
Blog announcement:| We reserve the right, and you authorize us, to use content, including words, photos and videos, which you provide to our blog
platform, for non-profit purposes on China Daily media, comprising newspaper, website, iPad and other social media accounts.