Author: linda_sun

Why don't Hong Kongers think of themselves as Chinese?   [Copy link] 中文

Post time 2013-6-5 21:15:14 |Display all floors
linda_sun Post time: 2013-6-5 17:49
Yes, they really feel superior to people from the Mainland.

wish that would be true
It takes about 40 muscles to smile, but only 4 to pull the trigger of a decent rifle

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2013-6-6 16:41:17 |Display all floors
Rude, pushy, loud and obnoxious individuals as exemplified by large numbers of Chinese tourists abroad doesn't create  goodwill on a people-to-people basis, no matter how rich they are.  They make it embarrassing to be Chinese.  

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2013-6-6 16:49:26 |Display all floors
All of the TW and most of the HK people I know don't want to be pidgeon-holed as being Chinese. They have enjoyed freedoms and incorporated a more open international culture and lifestyle for years.
Why go back to the stone age?
I'm just here for the money

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2013-6-6 19:48:08 |Display all floors
It is kind of like those Tom black slaves hate to call themselves Africans. Hating yourselves make your master accept you more.
I am an Asian American. I came to Chinadaily forum hoping to share my experience, knowledge, and my point of view. And in return I want to get the same in return from friends from around the world.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2013-6-6 20:27:10 |Display all floors
The problem can be in the wording of the survey and in what position the choices are asked. If people in Beijing were asked the same question and the first choice was "Beijing citizen" or "Beijing Chinese" quite possibly they would identify as this because they ARE citizens of Beijing and they are Chinese people who are also "Chinese of Beijing". They would be correct if they marked off all 3 but they are likely given ONE choice and people usually but not always mark off according to how specific an answer in a multiple choice question is as well. It's not that they are "superior" or think they are such. Maybe some do but I've never seen "evidence" to suggest that most Hong Kong citizens think they are "superior".
And what's wrong with having dark skin?

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2013-6-6 20:48:39 |Display all floors
The problem can be in the wording of the survey and in what position the choices are asked. If people in Beijing were asked the same question and the first choice was "Beijing citizen" or "Beijing Chinese" quite possibly they would identify as this because they ARE citizens of Beijing and they are Chinese people who are also "Chinese of Beijing". They would be correct if they marked off all 3 but they are likely given ONE choice and people usually but not always mark off according to how specific an answer in a multiple choice question is as well. It's not that they are "superior" or think they are such. Maybe some do but I've never seen "evidence" to suggest that most Hong Kong citizens think they are "superior".

Good point!
Let's not forget that the making of such "surveys" usually leads to findings that the researchers intended to find.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2013-6-6 22:16:03 |Display all floors
biztru Post time: 2013-6-5 17:58
Its a problem. Hong Kong and Taiwan people, in fact some other countries, like those in Japan as wel ...
The West which many from Hong Kong to Taiwan to India worships are actually no less lethal.

what made you think that these countries like Taiwan , India etc are worshipping West ?.....

Use magic tools Report

You can't reply post until you log in Log in | register

BACK TO THE TOP
Contact us:Tel: (86)010-84883548, Email: blog@chinadaily.com.cn
Blog announcement:| We reserve the right, and you authorize us, to use content, including words, photos and videos, which you provide to our blog
platform, for non-profit purposes on China Daily media, comprising newspaper, website, iPad and other social media accounts.