Author: ttt222

Those dreaded airport checks!   [Copy link] 中文

Post time 2013-6-12 11:09:50 |Display all floors
geoxian Post time: 2013-6-11 22:02
Yes, I've lived with the system for 70 years.  You hit the nail on the head with "supposedly handl ...

My apologies, then. I'm sorry that I misunderstood you.

I agree that it's all about money now. I don't know enough about the folks in Wyoming to understand why anyone would want the electoral college, but I'll take your word for it. I'm originally from Massachusetts, and I now live in South Carolina.

I agree that the system is generally broken, but what can be done to fix it other than rewriting the Constitution?

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2013-6-12 11:18:30 |Display all floors
geoxian Post time: 2013-6-12 11:02
Yes, I've lived with the system for 70 years.  You hit the nail on the head with "supposedly handl ...

I completely agree with you elections are bought and sold

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2013-6-12 11:29:50 |Display all floors
querist Post time: 2013-6-12 11:09
My apologies, then. I'm sorry that I misunderstood you.

I agree that it's all about money now. I  ...

Hi, I'm from Connecticut.  Lived in North Carolina a few years (as well as many other places).  My dad now lives in South Carolina, I now live in Mississippi, well that's where my house is anyway.    Right now I'm in China.
I'm not sure I would be for a pure popular vote, but I don't like California, and a few other states, getting such a big say in the outcome of elections either.  But somehow I would like to get the money campaigning out of the picture.
I have seen it work on a much smaller scale during local elections.  Yes there were advertisements but the local newspaper ran a spread about the candidates pretty much like a resume would read.
I also have seen it work on a vote to put something in place.  The newspaper simply printed a table of pros and cons that was very accurate and then the people voted.   The measure was overwhelming defeated, but when it was brought up again for a vote two more times and the paper didn’t print their article the measure passed.  Of course much money poured in and the focus was taken off the measure and on the poor economy.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2013-6-12 11:35:47 |Display all floors
geoxian Post time: 2013-6-11 22:29
Hi, I'm from Connecticut.  Lived in North Carolina a few years (as well as many other places).  My ...

I often tell my colleagues in China that the USA has the best laws money can buy.

I wish there were a way to take the money out of politics, but there's no way that's going to happen when it's the politicians who are making the laws.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2013-6-12 11:59:50 |Display all floors
querist Post time: 2013-6-12 11:35
I often tell my colleagues in China that the USA has the best laws money can buy.

I wish there we ...

That's why I say we a need a law that says lawyers can't be politicians.  

The olde fox guarding the hen house.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2013-6-12 13:50:38 |Display all floors
我觉得很好,认真执行自己的工作  这没有什么可怕的

Use magic tools Report

2016 Most Popular Member CD top contributor in April 2015 Most Popular Member Medal of honor Medal of honor

Post time 2013-6-12 17:13:00 |Display all floors
geoxian Post time: 2013-6-11 23:08
Actually there were some popular choices running in the republican party but in the end those runn ...

As always in the US the mediocre is often accepted as no one is prepared to gamble on a more radical choice.

Use magic tools Report

You can't reply post until you log in Log in | register

BACK TO THE TOP
Contact us:Tel: (86)010-84883548, Email: blog@chinadaily.com.cn
Blog announcement:| We reserve the right, and you authorize us, to use content, including words, photos and videos, which you provide to our blog
platform, for non-profit purposes on China Daily media, comprising newspaper, website, iPad and other social media accounts.