Views: 2263|Replies: 3

Why Europeans Have Multi-Colored Eyes and Hair [Copy link] 中文

Post time 2013-5-31 11:17:05 |Display all floors
This post was edited by Hadron at 2013-5-31 12:11

Evolution and Human Behavior 27 (2006)85–103

European hair and eye color
A case of frequency-dependent sexual selection?

Peter Frost

c/o Dr. D.I. Perrett, School of Psychology, University of St. Andrews, St. Mary’s College, South St., St. Andrews,
Fife, KY169JA, UK

Initial receipt 14 June 2004; final revision received 7 July 2005

Abstract

Human hair and eye color is unusually diverse in northern and eastern Europe. The many alleles involved (at least seven for hair color) and their independent origin over a short span of evolutionary time indicate some kind of selection. Sexual selection is particularly indicated because it is known to favor color traits and color polymorphisms. In addition, hair and eye color is most diverse in what used to be, when first peopled by hunter-gatherers, a unique ecozone of low-latitude continental tundra. This type of environment skews the operational sex ratio (OSR) of hunter-gatherers toward a male shortage in two ways: (1) men have to hunt highly mobile and spatially concentrated herbivores over longer distances, with no alternate food sources in case of failure, the result being more deaths among young men; (2) women have fewer opportunities for food gathering and thus require more male provisioning, the result being less polygyny. These two factors combine to leave more women than men unmated at any one time. Such an OSR imbalance would have increased the pressures of sexual selection on early European women, one possible outcome being an unusual complex of color traits: hair- and eye-color diversity and, possibly, extreme skin depigmentation.

This was an amazing paper for me to read: I never really knew before this why the Europeans have such varying pigments. Please look up the paper on Google and read it: it's in PDF format and very hard to copy and paste here.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2013-5-31 11:41:26 |Display all floors
I don't know if this link is allowed, but this is the full article:

http://www.ceacb.ucl.ac.uk/cultu ... 006-03-07_Frost.pdf

Thank you.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2014-8-14 11:38:33 |Display all floors
good article!

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2014-11-9 22:30:22 |Display all floors
BlueLantern Post time: 2014-8-14 11:38
good article!

Use magic tools Report

You can't reply post until you log in Log in | register

BACK TO THE TOP
Contact us:Tel: (86)010-84883548, Email: blog@chinadaily.com.cn
Blog announcement:| We reserve the right, and you authorize us, to use content, including words, photos and videos, which you provide to our blog
platform, for non-profit purposes on China Daily media, comprising newspaper, website, iPad and other social media accounts.