Author: voice_cd

Unforgettable childhood stories   [Copy link] 中文

Post time 2013-5-29 20:40:36 |Display all floors
My father was rebelling against forced religion as he got too much of it when he was a kid. His policy was that his children would not be allowed to attend church until they were 14 years old.  His rational was that people should be old enough to understand and interpret it for themselves.  I was not told this at the time I was just told I could not go.

My story I was almost 8 years old; I had been going to church with my oldest brother and a family that lived two houses down from us for about four or five weeks.  The week before Easter I was getting ready to go to Church and I was told that I could not go because I had a cold.  I was disappointed, but I accepted that I should not go.  Next weekend, Easter Sunday I was told that I could not go because I did not go last weekend. This made me angry as they stopped me from going the previous weekend then used the lame excuse that I did not go last weekend.  My older brother brought home an Easter goodies basket that they had prepared for me.  My father was not going to let me have it but my mother convinced him there would be no harm as long as I agreed to share it with my younger brother and sister.

It was years later that I learned the real reason that I was not allowed to go.  I often wondered why my father did not either just say I don’t want you going or you cannot go until you are 14.

What I learned from this experience.

1)        Treat all people children and adults as thinking people but don’t be afraid to set rules.  If you treat children as stupid or imply they cannot comprehend it usually backfires and makes the adult look stupid.    We were taught to respect the authority that a person has and not to talk back, but that cannot control what we think and the confusion it creates.
2)        People often make mistakes in dealing with others, their children or other adults, by concentrating on avoiding the same mistakes they perceive their parents made.
3)        Allowing children under fourteen to play on Sundays instead of dressing and going to Church is not a bad idea. There are other ways to teach children values.  I was raised with “Christian Values” but  I was taught it is more important how you live your life and how you treat others than if you went to Church on Sundays

Children are people with active minds and an eagerness to learn.  It is a different world than when I grew up, but I feel the two most precious gifts a parent can give their children are truth, love, guidance and encouragement.  Of course also the essentials food, shelter and security.
Attitude : Life is 10 percent what happens to you,  and 90 percent how you react to it.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2013-5-29 20:44:02 |Display all floors
This post was edited by RonJaDa at 2013-5-29 20:45

Attitude : Life is 10 percent what happens to you,  and 90 percent how you react to it.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2013-5-29 21:18:34 |Display all floors
I understand today in the creation of Canada and the US there was things happening in other countries that influenced many decisions of immigrants. In some of the European countries in the 30's and 40's people were bonding with the Church and what it was offering people at the time of Hitler Stalin etc. Hitler was murdering people in many of those countries. People were full of fear and wanted out so they escaped to these places. Many of our grand parents and parents held views of the church as well which of course played into their belief in absolute good and absolute evil.  Adopting church values through fear led to many strict ways in which to raise children. The problem with this belief system is that it is an ideal that cannot hold up. Children were meant to be seen and not heard. Many many factors impacted families in their raising of children and many were not good. This generation had a good rationale to reinforce their belief which was passed on to the next generation without question. You had to beleive this "or else" you could be beaten or punished. Children want to believe their parents and institutions so they obey without question.......sound familiar anyone?
And what's wrong with having dark skin?

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2013-5-29 21:45:38 |Display all floors
shelley116 Post time: 2013-5-29 15:19
Maybe,but i am strong inside

Not at all modest
ARE you chinese?

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2013-5-29 21:54:59 |Display all floors
I have less memories about my childhood,so I desire to live my childhood again!But this is impossible

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2013-5-29 21:58:29 |Display all floors
forget-me-not Post time: 2013-5-29 16:57
My childhood is happy with my grandma,and life was just as free&happy as the birds,as simple&innocen ...

you are happiness

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2013-5-29 22:29:33 |Display all floors
Socks Post time: 2013-5-29 14:59
I was once in school as a child.  There was a Chinese boy.  He was an atheist.  He comes to class wi ...

really ??  can 't believe    i'm a Chinese student     i like white girl

Use magic tools Report

You can't reply post until you log in Log in | register

BACK TO THE TOP
Contact us:Tel: (86)010-84883548, Email: blog@chinadaily.com.cn
Blog announcement:| We reserve the right, and you authorize us, to use content, including words, photos and videos, which you provide to our blog
platform, for non-profit purposes on China Daily media, comprising newspaper, website, iPad and other social media accounts.