A letter to a thief. - Everyday life - Chinadaily Forum
Views: 26362|Replies: 107

A letter to a thief.   [Copy link] 中文

Post time 2013-5-20 08:39:58 |Display all floors
This post was edited by cmknight at 2013-5-20 08:47

To whom it may concern,

I am a foreigner who has lived and worked in Changchun for the past five years. On Saturday, May 11th. I took a taxi from the TongzhiJie / Xikang Lu area to Weixing Guanchang at around 11:30 PM. I had a small backpack, a camera case, and a tripod with me. As soon as the taxi left, I realized I had left my backpack in the back seat. I attempted to get help from 3 young men who had just got out of another taxi, only to have them try to beat and rob me. The police were no help. I phoned the National Emergency number (119), and was treated to repeated, “ting bu dong, ting bu dong”. My Chinese is very poor, and in my panic, I only used English. It was at that point that I realized I was truly alone in this city, and that nobody was going to help me, not even the police, who, as I had been taught ever since I was a small boy, were who you go to when you are in trouble.

The following day, the Foreign Affairs Office at my school telephoned the taxi company, and the radio station. I telephoned a taxi driver friend of mine, and was told that all of the taxi drivers knew what happened,and he would talk to the driver involved. Later, he phoned me back and told methat the taxi had picked up another passenger shortly after dropping me off. After the passenger left the taxi, the driver said there was no backpack in the back seat. This taxi driver I telephoned is my friend. I have no reason not to trust him and his friend’s words. Therefore the only conclusion I can come to, is that the passenger said nothing to the driver, and just took the bag with him when he got out of the cab.

Inside that backpack was a video camera bag with a SonyHandycam DCR-DVD705E video camera, 3 battery packs, a charging cord, 2mini-DVD’s, and 4 electronic cigarette juice tanks. The rest of the backpack’s contents were as follows:

A blue plastic bag with 26 mini-DVD-RW’s (8 DVD’s had beenrecorded on, and had English writing on them).

A small black umbrella with star patterns (constellations)on the underside.

An ONDA wi-fitablet.

A Black gel ballpoint pen with ”Global Language Village” written on it.

A pair of magnetic clip-on sunglasses, in an eyeglass case.

A red chalk-holder with “ANN” written on it.

Two bottles of Ginsber beer.

A Nitecore Intellicharger i4 Batterycharger

A Surefire 18650 battery for my personal vaporizer

Unfortunately, I don’t ever expect to see my property again. However, I would like to ask the thief what he told his wife/girlfriend/mother when he walked in the door with a new bag of goodies. I say “he” and “him”,because most women I know would ask the driver if it was their bag. Males won’t do that. They have a different thinking process than women.

Did you tell them that you just bought it from a friend? Did they ask you about the English writing on the discs, or the really cool umbrella with the star patterns on it? Did they ask you why the ONDA’s Android operating system was set to English, instead of Chinese? How did you explain that you bought a backpack full of stuff, and there were two bottles of Ginsber beer tucked in beside the video camera case?

I would like to ask your wife/son/daughter/girlfriend/motherwhat they would do if they knew you were a thief. What would you do, knowing that your son/husband/boyfriend/father would steal from a complete stranger?  If there was a fire in yourhome, or an earthquake or some other disaster, is this man the type who would lay down his life to protect you and/or your children, or is he the type of man who would go running from the building, leaving you to fend for yourself. I ask these questions because those who would steal from others have no morals. They do not care about anyone but themselves. There is an old proverb which says,“There is no honour among thieves”. It is so very, very true.

I won the ONDA at last year’s “Foreign Friends Games”, herein Changchun. I earned 2nd Prize in the shooting competition. I bought my video camera seven years ago, and it has served me well, all those years.

I hope it serves you as well as it served me, and I hope you don’t wonder, as you are using it, “What type of person had this camera before me?”  I also hope that you don’t feel any guilt about stealing the memories from those teachers and students who are in the videos I had just made that day.  I truly hope that you feel no guilt when you are using something that you know you stole.  And, I hope you are able to make it through the rest of your life, knowing that you are a thief.

I know that the taxi drivers in this city try their best to get somebody’s property back to them safely. It would have been very easy to tell the taxi driver that somebody had left a bag in the car, wouldn’t it? It would have been very easy to ask the driver if it was their bag. But, did you do that?

They say God protects fools and little children. Yes, I was a fool for leaving my backpack in the taxi, and I have no one blame but myself. However, I would rather go through life knowing I was fool, than knowing I was a thief.

Stupid people are like Glowsticks. You want to snap them in half and shake the crap out of them until they see the light.
I love sarcasm. It's like punching someone in the head ... only with words

Use magic tools Report

2015 Most Popular Member Medal

Post time 2013-5-20 09:32:02 |Display all floors
""Two bottles of Ginsber beer.""

Maybe if you hadn't polished off the first four bottles that night you would have remembered your backpack.
Moral of the story: You snooze, you lose.
If capitalism promotes innovation and creativity then why aren't scientists and artists the richest people in a capitalist nation?

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2013-5-20 12:52:09 |Display all floors
Actually, Robert, I had not had anything to drink that night, so accusing me of drinking four beer, and using that as an excuse, is really a very childish thing to say.

But thank you for your comment anyway.
Stupid people are like Glowsticks. You want to snap them in half and shake the crap out of them until they see the light.
I love sarcasm. It's like punching someone in the head ... only with words

Use magic tools Report

Glod Medal August's Best Writer 2012

Post time 2013-5-20 12:52:22 |Display all floors
robert237 Post time: 2013-5-20 09:32
""Two bottles of Ginsber beer.""

Maybe if you hadn't polished off the first four bottles that night ...

Sometimes written comment tells more about person who is writing it, than about commented situation...

Sad.

Use magic tools Report

2015 Most Popular Member Medal

Post time 2013-5-20 12:59:42 |Display all floors
cmknight Post time: 2013-5-19 20:52
Actually, Robert, I had not had anything to drink that night, so accusing me of drinking four beer,  ...

You weren't drunk and you still forgot your backpack? That's even worse!
If capitalism promotes innovation and creativity then why aren't scientists and artists the richest people in a capitalist nation?

Use magic tools Report

Glod Medal August's Best Writer 2012

Post time 2013-5-20 13:39:03 |Display all floors
This post was edited by WhiteBear at 2013-5-20 13:39
Kbay Post time: 2013-5-20 13:23
I attempted to get help from 3 young men who had just got out of another taxi, only to have them try ...

"Founder of lost property... "?

not exactly - he "found it" on the backseat of the cab, not in the middle of empty street

whatever name this situation - for sure not "founder"

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2013-5-20 13:54:09 |Display all floors
Kbay Post time: 2013-5-20 13:47
Have you ever had anything returned that was lost in a taxi?
I haven't!

you mean the taxis/drivers in HKG are soooo bad..
some day Jiangsu will rule China

Use magic tools Report

You can't reply post until you log in Log in | register

BACK TO THE TOP
Contact us:Tel: (86)010-84883548, Email: blog@chinadaily.com.cn
Blog announcement:| We reserve the right, and you authorize us, to use content, including words, photos and videos, which you provide to our blog
platform, for non-profit purposes on China Daily media, comprising newspaper, website, iPad and other social media accounts.