Author: zhangjudy

The good old days on China's Er Ba Che bike [Copy link] 中文

Post time 2013-4-22 17:33:29 |Display all floors
1.jpg

The paper stack loaded on the rear seat of my bike was often as high as my head which made it difficult for me to control the vehicle and impossible for me to pick it up if it slipped and fell over on the ice, without the help from others.
Li Shifu’s trick
There was a bicycle repair shop near our school run by Li Shifu who earned his fame in the villages nearby by repairing Er Ba Che and village home-made bicycles. With a cigarette tuck above his ear and not looking at the customers in their eyes, his style was almost like a village official. One day an anxious young man came in for help, “Li Shifu, please repair my bike!” “Put it there.” Li didn’t stop his work at hand or even looked up. But the young man seemed so worried that he kept muttering something, and he finally found his voice after about 10 minutes, saying, “The bicycle… isn’t mine, I borrowed it from some other guy. Could you please mend it for me because I’m pressed for time?” “What’s wrong with the bicycle? Li looked up. “The chain is broken.” “Well, that’s too bad. Go and find the lost link of the chain. ” Following the order, the young man rushed out without hesitation. And Li fixed the bike in a few minutes. When the empty-handed young man came back and saw the bicycle, he was overjoyed. When others asked Li later why he played the trick on the young man, he simply said, “I saw he was fidgeting and I wanted to send him out for a stroll.”

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2013-4-22 17:34:04 |Display all floors
1.jpg

Er Ba Che today,  props for picture

The Er Ba Che of "Yongjiu" and "Phoenix" brands are becoming symbols of China's past now. A photo studio in Shanghai has launched "Phoenix" bicycle theme wedding photography, where young men and women who are interested in dressing in the style of the Chinese in the 1960s and 1970s will have these Er Ba Che as part of the background. For them, the bikes are merely props to make the wedding picture less stereotyped, nothing more.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2013-4-22 17:34:32 |Display all floors
1.jpg

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2013-4-22 19:35:52 |Display all floors
Very nice pictures. Thanks for sharing and also thanks for the stories. {:soso_e179:}

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2013-4-22 23:41:13 From mobile |Display all floors
until now, my family owns an er ba Che, but not for riding.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2013-4-24 10:01:16 |Display all floors
Does anyone know the "Village Bike"?

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2013-4-25 12:47:44 |Display all floors
Chegsyboy Post time: 2013-4-24 10:01
Does anyone know the "Village Bike"?

Mulvane Star, I think her name is?

Use magic tools Report

You can't reply post until you log in Log in | register

BACK TO THE TOP
Contact us:Tel: (86)010-84883548, Email: blog@chinadaily.com.cn
Blog announcement:| We reserve the right, and you authorize us, to use content, including words, photos and videos, which you provide to our blog
platform, for non-profit purposes on China Daily media, comprising newspaper, website, iPad and other social media accounts.