Views: 5932|Replies: 4

Good and comforting speech [Copy link] 中文

Post time 2004-4-25 14:32:28 |Display all floors
Mr. Hu's speech at the Boao Asia Forum Meeting in Hainan, leaves a good and comforting feeling to all of us, Chinese and foreigners, because he presented a very realistic situation both of China and the Asian region.

Hu insisted in the fact that China will keep on with the effort to enable everyone in the country to benefit from the economic development. Also it was a humble speech; humble because by saying that probably it will be by year 2020 when China will have a GDP of US$ 3000, he doesn't make great triumphant estimations but rather down to earth realistic ones.

Mr. Hu did not forget to mention the challenges the country has in the future, and that are not only economical, but also social.

I think that if really China works in the direction her President has pointed out, the future here looks, certainly, bright ahead. Congratulations to the Chinese for the good news and to Mr.Hu for his speech which confirms the rightness of his position as one of the 100 more influential characters of the World.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2004-4-25 14:48:09 |Display all floors

good and comforting deeds

That China sacrificed herself to practise single-child policy saved the world from global hunger.

That China declined help from the world after the Tangshan earthquake showed equal concern for the situations in other countries.

That China kept the renminbi steady despite heavy fiscal pressures helped the other countries through their hard times.

So, as much as Mr Hu, 1.3 Billion Chinese on the mainland are heroes and heroines, every one of them.

markwu

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2004-4-26 12:23:43 |Display all floors

humble?

"humble because by saying that probably it will be by year 2020 when China will have a GDP of US$ 3000"  --[that should be per capita GDP]

Is it really that humble to claim that per capita GDP will triple in the next 16 years?  Seems pretty bold to me!

I hope it will be acheived.

D.H.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2004-4-26 12:26:39 |Display all floors

a full quote

Here's a quote from Hu's speech, from today's China Daily:

"We will quadruple the 2000 GDP to US$4 trillion with a per capita GDP of US$3,000, and further develop the economy, improve demo-cracy, advance science and education, enrich culture, foster greater social harmony and upgrade the texture of life for the people."

Again, I hope it can all be achieved.

D.H.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2004-4-27 01:33:09 |Display all floors

economic versus social

seems to me that china's economic advance is a no-brainer, which means that it will progress economically as long as the leaders allow the chinese people to make money for themselves and for the country.

the more difficult and important challenge will be progress on social issues, such as the development of truly representative government, which means giving dissenting voices a political platform.

ts

Use magic tools Report

You can't reply post until you log in Log in | register

BACK TO THE TOP
Contact us:Tel: (86)010-84883548, Email: blog@chinadaily.com.cn
Blog announcement:| We reserve the right, and you authorize us, to use content, including words, photos and videos, which you provide to our blog
platform, for non-profit purposes on China Daily media, comprising newspaper, website, iPad and other social media accounts.