Views: 9529|Replies: 12

Do Chinese people really care? [Copy link] 中文

Post time 2013-3-18 18:18:40 |Display all floors
This post was edited by Laowai2? at 2013-3-18 18:20

I have lived in China long enough to know how closea bond a Chinese family have. I realise that there is legislation involved but most families are happy to help each other when there is a crisis.

At the other end of the spectrum we often see news of passers by avoiding someone who is lying injured in the street in case they are blamed and sued in court for compensation.

However, on three occasions recently I have witnessed incidents that show little consideration for others. At the airport I saw a young mother pushing a toddler in a pushchair struggling to pull a luggage trolley at the same time. No one, not even a staff member offered her any help. On another occasion a mother and daughter (about 8 years old) were struggling to carry a large suitcase up the stairs from the metro. Again no one offered to help. The third incident also at the metro was again a young mother trying to drag a pushchair up the steps and hang on to her daughter at the same time, completely ignored by passers by. And yet on the bus people are only too willing to stand up and offer their seat for the elderly or parents with young children.

Can anyone explain this?

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2013-3-19 13:36:24 |Display all floors
Sorry to hear that.

Actually, I always met warm-hearted people. When I was pregnant, everytime I take the subway, someone give up his(her ) seat to me.

Traditional China is based on family. Chinese don't know how to deal with strangers, sometimes they  are just too shy to offer a hand.

Use magic tools Report

Glod Medal August's Best Writer 2012

Post time 2013-3-19 14:51:18 |Display all floors
why the family help each other, but the people generally don't help "others"?

maybe it is a kind of "gene-saving-behavior"? (vide "The Selfish Gene" by Richard Dawkins)

this is not only in China, I've seen it on the streets in some European cities too, and in USA in big cities... in smaller ones people was more friendly, MUCH more.

so maybe it is some "big city effect" too? people are in rush, alienated, focused on own business.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2013-3-19 17:49:26 |Display all floors
waiboshu Post time: 2013-3-19 13:36
Sorry to hear that.

Actually, I always met warm-hearted people. When I was pregnant, everytime I ta ...

This might explain why on each occasion my offers of help were gratefully accepted but with surprise.

Use magic tools Report

Blogger of 2013

Post time 2013-3-21 04:32:12 |Display all floors
This post was edited by huaren2323 at 2013-3-21 04:33
Laowai2? Post time: 2013-3-19 17:49
This might explain why on each occasion my offers of help were gratefully accepted but with surpri ...

Yes Laowai2. I was plesantly amused that some elderly specially the older male was surprised.
He examined me head to toe, smiled and said he prefer to stand up. Most female or with child would thank me and what is very rewarding is that her husband also thank me.. Made my day although i had to suffer more than 15 stops standing as each station zoomed in and out and massive humanity filed in and out...

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2013-3-21 07:11:36 |Display all floors
huaren2323 Post time: 2013-3-21 04:32
Yes Laowai2. I was plesantly amused that some elderly specially the older male was surprised.
He ex ...

well done. hope more gentlemen like you to see in China.

Use magic tools Report

Blogger of 2013

Post time 2013-3-21 09:44:47 |Display all floors
Diggit Post time: 2013-3-21 07:11
well done. hope more gentlemen like you to see in China.

Thanks for the vote of confidence. I just thought that many people can witness this. I am sure some of them are willing to be courteous but unsure that they may be rebuke or laugh at by their friends for being sissy. I can see a lot of improvement now at The Shenzhen Subway that goes all the way now to the airport. People are standing back for the exiting passengers and giving seats for the elderly and those with children. I just hope this can be contagious and a good step in the right direction. As Chairman Mao says : " The long march began with just one step".....we are Chinese and we should start to be nice to fellow Chinese.

Use magic tools Report

You can't reply post until you log in Log in | register

BACK TO THE TOP
Contact us:Tel: (86)010-84883548, Email: blog@chinadaily.com.cn
Blog announcement:| We reserve the right, and you authorize us, to use content, including words, photos and videos, which you provide to our blog
platform, for non-profit purposes on China Daily media, comprising newspaper, website, iPad and other social media accounts.