Views: 7151|Replies: 26

Imagine if China No Longer Needed Police and Laws!   [Copy link] 中文

Post time 2013-3-14 04:30:54 |Display all floors
The West focuses on high investments in police forces and laws, spends lots of money on it, but does not focus on human psychology that causes violence and crime.  In the ideal society, police and laws would not even be needed because each citizen would choose out of his own free will to act in a positive way.  I personally don't need laws and police to control me because there is nothing to control: I behave in a purely positive manner out of my own choosing.  

So, the goal should be for China to alter human psychology.  Get rid of people with criminal personalities, people who only follow laws to avoid imprisonment, not because they actually believe in doing the right thing.  In other words, get rid of the psychopaths.  No psychopaths mean no more crime which results in no need for police and laws and the money and resources wasted on them.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2013-3-14 04:55:48 |Display all floors
youknowhat Post time: 2013-3-14 04:46
but then again how can we train somebody like me to be YOU, and not ev'ryone is like bein YOU agai ...

Do you have the uncontrollable desire to rob people, rape women, kill men, set people on fire, burn cars and throw bricks at windows out of an innate desire to cause pain and misery to other people and to society at large?  Probably not.  But criminals do.  They are congenitally psychopathological.  It is a hereditary condition.  It has nothing to do with being like me, but rather having basic instinctual pro-social behaviors that provide people with shame, empathy, and a feeling of responsibility and duty to behave in certain ways.  These things are all lacking in genetic psychopaths, but not in you, I assume.  

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2013-3-14 06:27:05 |Display all floors
Megalodon Post time: 2013-3-14 04:55
Do you have the uncontrollable desire to rob people, rape women, kill men, set people on fire, burn ...

Psychopaths are many people, possibly 5% of the population and not simple to get rid of. Often they tend to reject therapy because they are pathological liars and because of that can't be reached by a therapist which makes psychopaths considered incurable.

Even if I agree with you that psychopaths are a big problem to society, some of them also function very well and contribute quite a lot even without empathy and feelings for anything but themselves. Often they can function at authoritarian positions like in authorities and other official leading positions. Problem is that their lack of remorse and such feelings can make them if not controlled go beyond any normal behaviour and put themselves and others in dangerous situations, but if lucky it can be very good also.

I would hope mutual respect and understanding among people could very much limit the need for police and laws, but it's hard to see such an utopia that fully function as anarchy with self-restraint in the near future.   

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2013-3-14 07:17:02 |Display all floors
This post was edited by Megalodon at 2013-3-14 07:17
mikaelforsberg Post time: 2013-3-14 06:27
Psychopaths are many people, possibly 5% of the population and not simple to get rid of. Often the ...

No psychopaths, no crime.  Quite simple.  Only China has the ideological underpinnings to carry out this project: West is completely stuck in cultural determinism till the very end.  Perhaps Israel can also carry out this project.

We don't need brilliant psychopaths when we can have brilliant non-psychopaths. No need for brilliant white collar criminals.  Psychopathology is a trait that has absolutely no use in a functional society.

What's the harm in sterilizing the 5% of psychopaths that you have mentioned?  I sure would like to live in a nation where I can walk outside at 3 AM, holding my wallet in my hand, and never have to worry about being mugged.  In the West, such a fantasy cannot ever happen: you would be mugged, beaten, raped, and/or killed.  

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2013-3-14 07:21:03 |Display all floors
This post was edited by Megalodon at 2013-3-14 07:24
mikaelforsberg Post time: 2013-3-14 06:27
Psychopaths are many people, possibly 5% of the population and not simple to get rid of. Often the ...

Not anarchy, but just a minimum amount of resources allocated to crime-prevention: that is all that would be needed.  Plus, if in addition to selecting against psychopathology, we also selected for high IQ and high conscientiousness, we could have a society smart enough to practice direct democracy where all citizens vote on all policy, like via the internet.  A society would have to be smart enough to understand all the issues well.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2013-3-14 07:29:14 |Display all floors
Megalodon Post time: 2013-3-14 07:21
Not anarchy, but just a minimum amount of resources allocated to crime-prevention: that is all that ...

Currently, China is not nearly smart and conscientious enough to practice direct democracy: one can tell by the types of entertainment and lifestyle that interests the majority of people in China.  So, direct democracy is a goal for the future, but not now. For now, the Communist Party elites must run their country.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2013-3-14 07:55:43 |Display all floors
This post was edited by ztoa789 at 2013-3-14 08:00

A necessary condition for democracy is that government doesn't serve any special interest groups, that includes government, the rich and syndicates, religion groups, etc.

Hence, you can hardly find any democratic countries on earth.

BTW, "Rule by law" is built on the assumption that human society can be ruled by law which on theory is impossible, because human beings are too complicated to be described by even millions of variables.

So to make law simpler, the law will not be enough to rule the human society; to make law cover most of the issues in society, you need huge wealth to back it, that is the case in USA.

Use magic tools Report

You can't reply post until you log in Log in | register

BACK TO THE TOP
Contact us:Tel: (86)010-84883548, Email: blog@chinadaily.com.cn
Blog announcement:| We reserve the right, and you authorize us, to use content, including words, photos and videos, which you provide to our blog
platform, for non-profit purposes on China Daily media, comprising newspaper, website, iPad and other social media accounts.