Author: 29042012

WHY no media coverage of popes resignation in China ?   [Copy link] 中文

Gold Medal

Post time 2013-3-2 20:00:44 |Display all floors
29042012 Post time: 2013-3-2 20:18
Satsu,

I do not know if you agree with me on this:

I do not agree with your assessment about China's media. We're writing the year 2013 and not 1993 or 2003. China has come a looooong way and when it comes to press freedom has much more to offer than some western publications which are - when it comes to China for instance - either biased or based on owners' agendas. But let it be, let's look at the news you want to see and couldn't find. There may be several reasons for this and I list them without ranking:

- The number of Roman Catholics (those who believe in the Vatican and the pope) is estimated at somehow between 10 and 12 million people. In a nation with a 1,35b population this is a number which in no way is important (<1%).

- The Vatican is an independent state and China and the Vatican do not recognize each other (similar to  Panama and China).

- The pope is head of this state and is seen foremost as a ruler and not a spiritual leader.

- China does not accept (hopefully forever) foreigners to rule or decide what has to be done on Chinese soil, hence, China has founded (in the 1950s) the Chinese Patriotic church which is free of foreign influence and brainwashing from Rome.

You may accept the reasons or not but they are fact. Personally I believe that there will be no change in the status quo as long as the "Holy See" tries to mingle, mangle in China's domestic affairs (appointment of bishops etc).

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2013-3-2 20:04:31 |Display all floors
The estimate of the number of Catholics defers a lot from the numbers you have mentioned.

And ...

I do not agree with you assessment, that China did change a lot when it comes to media freedom.

What many observe, is a more tight and more sophisticated control.

You may have read the incident with the German tv-team.

This is not a rare exception. This is CHINA the way it is seen from outside.

It is indeed very practical that the party is  judge, legislator, head of the army, executor  and  publisher  all in one in China.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2013-3-2 20:05:49 |Display all floors
Just read my signature or footnote and you know what I mean.

Change - ?  change is something different than what you think.
It is indeed very practical that the party is  judge, legislator, head of the army, executor  and  publisher  all in one in China.

Use magic tools Report

Gold Medal

Post time 2013-3-2 20:19:45 |Display all floors
29042012 Post time: 2013-3-2 21:04
The estimate of the number of Catholics defers a lot from the numbers you have mentioned.

And ...

The number of Christians varies indeed. But more than 2/3 do not belong to Catholicism, neither the patriotic one nor the Papal. It's useless to dispute about the numbers but I tend to believe that the higher figures are exaggerated on purpose.

As for media freedom in general - of course there is room for improvement but while we see China slowly improving the conditions we see at the same time a deterioration in the western press or a speedy deterioration in Japan under the new neo fascist leadership.

Yes, I did read about the ARD-woman's mishap in rural China but both, you and I, do not know the reason. It was certainly no government initiated action but it seems to be a local feud. The lady involved should know it and come forward with the truth. I wonder why she does not do so.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2013-3-2 20:28:27 |Display all floors
"certainly (??) no government initiated action"

By now, we do not know, right.

But "certainly" ?

In previous cases it always turned out that "local CPC authorithies" were involved. One car had been identified by witnesses to belong to a local party member.

Use magic tools Report

Gold Medal

Post time 2013-3-2 20:33:12 |Display all floors
29042012 Post time: 2013-3-2 21:28
"certainly (??) no government initiated action"

By now, we do not know, right.

Yes, I stay with the word 'certainly' because I know a bit about the country. What happened to the ARD woman is absolutely unusual and to me at least looks more like a 'gang assault'. Sorry, I'm aware that this is no good news for propagandists.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2013-3-2 20:33:26 |Display all floors
Similar things regularly happen to fellow Chinese reporters if they cross a certain red line.

China really has a long way to go when it come to free media (and independent judiciary).

Use magic tools Report

You can't reply post until you log in Log in | register

BACK TO THE TOP
Contact us:Tel: (86)010-84883548, Email: blog@chinadaily.com.cn
Blog announcement:| We reserve the right, and you authorize us, to use content, including words, photos and videos, which you provide to our blog
platform, for non-profit purposes on China Daily media, comprising newspaper, website, iPad and other social media accounts.