Author: 29042012

The Philippines, a role model for China   [Copy link] 中文

Post time 2013-2-26 08:58:08 |Display all floors
Coming to grips with the past.

Wake up China !

Your past is a part of you, too !
It is indeed very practical that the party is  judge, legislator, head of the army, executor  and  publisher  all in one in China.

Use magic tools Report

2015 Most Popular Member Medal

Post time 2013-2-26 13:15:35 |Display all floors
So you think China should become some poverty stricken backwater full of ignorant people who
believe in a big business religion (Catholic) mired in corruption?
Wall street couldn't bring China down, what makes you think you can?
If capitalism promotes innovation and creativity then why aren't scientists and artists the richest people in a capitalist nation?

Use magic tools Report

Blogger of 2013

Post time 2013-2-26 13:20:10 |Display all floors
This post was edited by huaren2323 at 2013-2-26 15:29

Philippines : Paradise Regain ? Role Model for China?

February 26, 1986 is the day when President Marcos was ousted by what was refered to as People's Power Revolution.

Twenty seven (27) Years later to the day, The son of the assassinated Marcos opposition is current President of this beautiful country. Continuing his mother legacy, the first woman president of your country (the late Hon. Corazon Aquino) is to distribute the about US$ 600 Million returned by The Swiss Bank from the recovered Marcos wealth to those who have suffered as victims.

Allow me to pursue your proposition that China copy the Philippine model.

I was in Charge of the entire Asia PAcific operation for telecommunications and energy generation and distribution components that included Japan, North Asia, Australia New Zealand and Southeast Asia Philippines included.

These past 27 years, here are my observations:

(A) Politics : The People's Revolution was led by Marcos' Minister for Defence Juan Ponce Enrile and Marcos' cousin General Fidel Ramos with the endorsement of the USA. Marcos have been instrumental is helping Reagan get elected as the Governor for California with a strong Filipino immigrants and Religious Group (Iglesias ni Kristo) block in California. Marcos also was the bridge that arranged the 1976 Nixon Mao summit. Mao personally thanked Imelda and gave her a substantial real estate in the middle of Guangzhou which still sat vacant waiting for her. In due recognition of Marcos's contribution, Ronald Reagan had Senator Lugar advise Marcos to quit and quit cleanly (exact words of Lugar). Marcos was misled to flee the palace to where he thought was his  hometown refuge in Ilocos Norte but ended up as an inconvenient guest of the USA in Hawaii compliments of the USA 7th Fleet navy. Today your Senate is headed by the same Ponce Enrile. His fellow senator included the only son of Marcos ( Ferdinand Junior), friends and relatives of the jailed past President Joseph Estrada and those of the now detained and disgraced past President Gloria Macapagal. The rest are individuals representing traditional elite political families of the Philippines, two (2) coup d' etat former military person (Sen. Gringo Honasan and Sen. Antonio Trillanes IV). Your Lower House of the Congress made up of past and current elite families and several former actors and actresses. One of them is still in jail for sexual transgression with a minor (Jalosjos). Your local governance made up of entrenched families not unlike feudal barons where limitation of tenure is circumvented with spouse or siblings aspiring for post vacated by relatives. I was surprised that former President Gloria Macapagal downgraded herself and run for Congress. I heard Fromer Jpspeh Estrada is now running in May 2013 as Mayor of Manila.

(B) Press Freedom. Yes People's Daily and China Daily are run rigidly and news controlled to meet the needs of China.
Inquierer is owned and controled by the private Group Isagani Yambot, Betty Go Belmonte,Leticia Jimenez Magsanoc & Friends. Manila Bulletin by Yap ( Philippine President Shipping Line and Manila Hotel. Star by Gokongwei ( Cebu Pacific Airlines, JG Summit Holdings). You can say it is independent of the State but would it not be possible to be deployed for personal agenda? Specially for this oncoming May 2013 election? Inquierer was very prominent in getting Estrada unseated.

On the dark side, I know of people that paid hush bribes either to quash a threathen exposure or broadcast an exposure. No wonder being a Philippine journalist is a dangerous profession. A half page is reportedly hocked for 500,000 pesos ( more than US$ 12.000 or 70,000 RMB) by some unabashed columnists.

Newspaper is a tool deployed to influence public opinion with a secondary role for disemminating information. No one will do this for free, not even the church. Singapore, South Korea, Japan, Germany, U.K. have built in mechanism to ensure press responsibility. Freedom of Press carries the responsibility for accuracy and fairness. You are aware that this is guaranteed by the USA constitution but regulated by harsh law of defamation and libel. How many of your expose' allows the targeted party or parties the same page/same media time of rebuttal. Is this intended to set up for payola as a hidden agenda? I wonder?

Use magic tools Report

Blogger of 2013

Post time 2013-2-26 14:52:50 |Display all floors
(c) Economy: I admired the resiliency of the Filipinos in representing the largest single ethnic migrant workers of the world. Business executives, physicians, nurses, blue collar workers, entertainers, hospitality and IT professionals yearly raking in more than 10 Billion Dollars that made Philippines one of the hottest economy in Asia after the 2009 financial crash and even until today. Today if you remove Filipinos working in Saudi Arabia or UAE, the country will cease to function. Or remove all the merchant marines of Filipinos and world trade is severely bottlenecked.

While these migrant toils in foreign lands, their families left behind endure the social deprivation from the absence of their primary caregiver or both parents, bureaucrats tax them sytematically. Returning migrant workers are nickled and dimed by the many paperwork so that they are eligible to return to their workplace. I heard from my domestic helper that she paid to attend a required session on proper conduct to avoid being sexually taken advantage of. Wow , being an old man, I would have taken this as a compliment.

(d) Tourism & Internal Security : Almost non existent. Indiscriminate kidnappings, unsolved murders of foreign retirees and High profile collateral damage in the not so recent Garcia hostage taking and indiscriminate collateral massacre at Luneta of Hong Kong tourists.  About 2 years ago, an incumbent feudal family (Ampatuan) massacre a rival family who was on the way to declare candidacy for a township position in Maguindanao. His wife, relatives, several journalists and a van of unlucky travelers who were in the wrong place at the wrong time were rounded up, tortured and summarily executed, A bulldozer waiting nearby to burythe evidence suggested premeditation. The wife and her pregnant sister-in-law were raped and shot at cross range into their genitalia. In November 2012, a member of the police used his position to legitimize the killing of 13 people who were reported to be their targeted rivals in illegal gaming of this policeman's sister. Among the 13 victims are policemen too. Special forces of the army were deployed in what is now believed by the National Bureau of Investigation as an execution made to look like a legitimate police operation. Cops against cops and territorial turf war.

The only good news that I read is the gutsy landing of the brother of the Sulu Sultan into Sabah, Malaysia to reclaim their ancestral rights. I think it is about time that he finishes what Marcos failed to do in 1964. Thsi well documented and I urge you to pursue this injustice to Filipinos and recover what malaysia and England have sequestered illegally all these years for a lousy US$ 150 Dollars a year which Malaysia still pays since Januray 22 , 1878.

(e) Human Rights : Hong Kong allows free medical treatment of Filipino domestic helpers and even reduce annual levy. Canada allows outright permanent residence status for Filipino domestic helpers. The Philippine Immigration & Deportation Department still levy annual Head tax on 2nd or 3rd generation foreigners because it is made it so costly to become a Philippine Citizen. Latest quote about US$ 200,000 and about 2 years of process. More than 200,000 recent South Korean, Chinese and Indian Migrants are on temporary status of residency so that they can come across with facilitation fees to speed up updating their status to avoid being arrested for being undocumented aliens. This is the only Immigration body in the world that has a swat team under their deployment 24/7. Every effective I think for Sabah to help your Muslim brothers.

(f) External Relationships: It seems Filipino psyche tends to be instinctively outspoken. It is sometimes advantageous but quiet diplomacy may be more productive sometimes. Look at your talented national Hero Jose P. Rizal. He was outspoken and executed by Spain in 1896. Aguinaldo hijacked the revolution by eliminating Bonifacio (another outspoken hero) and in the end Philippines still ended up the colony of Spain and was bartered off along with Puerto Rico to USA after Dewey shot down the Spanish Navy in Manila Bay.

(G) Paradise Lost or Regained: It is your choice. Philippines have been way ahead of even Japan and Taiwan after the 2nd world war. I remember wearing your MaComber Jeans, savoured your Colgate tooth paste, bathe with your Palmolive soap and trade  ladies nylon stocking that we treasure so much in Taiwan in the 1960s. Your Sycip Gores and Velayo (SGV) accounting did the top company books so that USA partners can invest in Taiwan. Thanks to SGV, Taiwan now makes cars motorcycles and Iphone for Apple and even migrated to China as Foxconn. Your executives today still head many major corporations doing business in Asia like Nestle, Goldman Sachs, J P Morgan Chase. The most notable of whom is Manuel V. Pangilinan, who worked for Bancom in the Marcos years, then moved to American Express Hong Kong whose client is Indonesian Chinese Salim. He was eventually made by Salim as their chief financial architect in his world wide empire. His reward? He was bankrolled to acquire PLDT in the Philippines during Estrada years. His yatch at Aberdeen is next to ours so I know. The rest is history.

You have the world's most beautiful marine diversity and the loveliest of physique in Asia. Both man and women. You have the natural artistry, free spirit and resiliency.

I wish you can regain the Paradise that was.

Happy Power Power Day. Enjoy....make it last.

Use magic tools Report

Blogger of 2013

Post time 2013-2-26 15:01:15 |Display all floors
February 26, 1986 is the day when President Marcos was ousted by what was refered to as People's Power Revolution.

Twenty seven (27) Years later to the day, The son of the assassinated Marcos opposition is current President of this beautiful country. Continuing his mother legacy, the first woman president of your country (the late Hon. Corazon Aquino) is to distribute the about US$ 600 Million returned by The Swiss Bank from the recovered Marcos wealth to those who have suffered as victims.

Allow me to pursue your proposition that China copy the philippine model.

I was in Charge of the entire Asia PAcific operation for telecommunications and energy generation and distribution components that included Japan, North Asia, Australia New Zealand and Southeast Asia Philippines included.

These past 27 years, here are my observations:
(A) Politics : The People's Revolution was led by Marcos' Minister for Defence Juan Ponce Enrile and Marcos' cousin General Fidel Ramos with the endorsement of the USA. Marcos have been instrumental is helping Reagan get elected as the Governor for California with a strong Filipino immigrants and Religious Group (Iglesias ni Kristo) block in California. Marcos also was the bridge that arranged the 1976 Nixon Mao summit. Mao personally thans Imelda and gave her a substantial real estate in the middle of Guangzhou which still sat vacant waiting for her. In sdue recognition of Marcos's contribution, Ronald Reagan had Senator Lugar to advice Marcos to quit and quit cleanly (exact words of Lugar). Marcos was misled to flee the palace to where he thought was his  hometown refuge in Ilocos Norte but ended up as an inconvenient guest of the USA in Hawaii compliments of the USA 7th Fleet navy. Today your Senate is headed by the same Ponce Enrile. His fellow senator included the only son of Marcos ( Ferdinand Junior), friends and relatives of the jailed past President Joseph Estrada and those of the now detained and disgraced past President Gloria Macapagal. The rest are individuals representing traditional elite political families of the Philippines, two (2) coup d' etat former military person (Sen. Gringo Honasan and Trillanes). Your Lower House of the Congress made up of past and current elite families and several former actors and actresses. One of them is still in jail for sexual transgression with a minor (Jalosjos). Your local governance made up of entrenched families not unlike feudal barons where limitation of tenure is circumvented with spouse or siblings aspiring for post vacated by relatives.

(B) Press Freedom. Yes People's Daily and China Daily are run rigidly and news controlled to meet the needs of China.
Inquierer is owned and controled by the private Group Isagani Yambot, Betty Go Belmonte,Leticia Jimenez Magsanoc inc. Manila Bulletin by Yap ( Philippine President Shipping Line and Manila Hotel. Star by Gokongwei ( Cebu Pacific Airlines, JG Summit Holdings). You can say it is independent of the State but would it not be possible to be deployed for personal agenda? Specially for this oncoming May 2013 election? Inquierer was very prominent in getting Estrada unseated.

On the dark side, I know of people that paid hush bribes either to quash a threathen exposure or broadcast an exposure. No wonder being a Philippine journalist is a dangerous profession. A half page is reportedly hocked for 500,000 pesos ( more than US$ 12.000 or 70,000 RMB) by some unabashed columnists.

Newspaper is a tool deployed to influence public opinion with a secondary role for disemminating information. No one will do this for free, not even the church. Singapore, South Korea, Japan, Germany, U.K. have built in mechanism to ensure press responsibility. Freedom of Press carries the responsibility for accuracy and fairness. You are aware that this is guaranteed by the USA constitution but regulated by harsh law of defamation and libel. How many of your expose' allows the targeted party or parties the same page/same media time of rebuttal. Is this intended to set up for payola as a hidden agenda? I wonder?

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2013-2-26 15:07:54 |Display all floors
Whitewashing won't change the fact that the Philippines is an oligarchy under the democratic label.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2013-2-26 15:21:15 |Display all floors
29042012 Post time: 2013-2-26 08:58
Coming to grips with the past.

Wake up China !

Shouldn't you include Japan whose right-wing faction denies their WW2 atrocities?  Japanese  soldiers massacred their way through Asia as an act of liberating local people from western colonialism. This is what they believed then and what many of today's J-leaders still believe.  Please go on Japanese government websites and lecture them about coming to grips with the past.

Use magic tools Report

You can't reply post until you log in Log in | register

BACK TO THE TOP
Contact us:Tel: (86)010-84883548, Email: blog@chinadaily.com.cn
Blog announcement:| We reserve the right, and you authorize us, to use content, including words, photos and videos, which you provide to our blog
platform, for non-profit purposes on China Daily media, comprising newspaper, website, iPad and other social media accounts.