Author: chiengolee

China lost war to Vietnam in 1979   [Copy link] 中文

Post time 2013-2-23 17:31:44 |Display all floors
expatter Post time: 2013-2-22 22:33
China won this war as its objectives were not actually to do with Vietnam .........

It was a cont ...

What were the objectives? If it was purely punitive, then it was a pyrrhic victory. If it was to get Vietnam out of Cambodia it failed. If it was for expansion and to take territory then it was a pyrrhic victory. I always assumed it was a punitive response but also to send a message to the USSR to back off.
I may disagree with what you say, but I'll defend to the death your right to say it - Voltaire

The secret of freedom lies in educating people, whereas the secret of tyranny is in keeping them
ignora

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2013-2-23 17:39:10 |Display all floors
lau_guan_kim Post time: 2013-2-23 01:33
You had better check your figures.

1.2 million Chinese troops attacked Vietnam in 1979?
If China lost or Vietnam won, why the latter had to withdraw from Kampuchea (Cambodia)?

Vietnam withdrew from Cambodia in 1989, after economic sanctions. If China's military objectives were to make the Vietnam withdraw from Cambodia then it was a decisive defeat. Chinese troops were beaten back by militia forces and sustained heavy casualties. While Vietnam didn't leave Cambodia. The only way it could have been a victory for China if the objectives were purely punitive or to expand and take land. But both these would be pyrrhic victories as the cost to China was also high.
I may disagree with what you say, but I'll defend to the death your right to say it - Voltaire

The secret of freedom lies in educating people, whereas the secret of tyranny is in keeping them
ignora

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2013-2-23 21:05:36 |Display all floors
Reminder: Author is prohibited or removed, and content is automatically blocked
Writer's real name is Lau Guan Kim.  lau_guan_kim is for commentary and analysis. He writes also under another alter ego jinseng. I will respond to good reasoned debate. Mudslingers shall be ignored. What I do not like are ignorance, stupidity, chauvinism and bigotry. The other party has as much right as I have until it resorts to insults and nuisance.

Use magic tools Report

Medal Medal of honor Gold Medal July's Best Writer 2012 October's Best Writer 2012

Post time 2013-2-23 21:11:34 |Display all floors
Prometheus2 Post time: 2013-2-23 17:31
What were the objectives? If it was purely punitive, then it was a pyrrhic victory. If it was to g ...

Your last idea is empirically correct as both Washington and Beijing wanted the Russians out of Asia and especially the deep water ports in S. Vietnam. The data suggests that China sent 600,000 troops to Vietnam of which 200,000 were kept in reserve. Meanwhile, 1.5 million troops went to the Russian border to challenge the Russians to intervene, which they didn't. The limited attack on Vietnam and the non-response of Russia meant that Russia had not kept its treaty with Vietnam which knockedthe Russians out of the game. When China withdrew it was because their objective and that of Washington had been achieved as Vietnam no longer had its Russian partner. The Vietnamese in Camabodia because the King, the Khamer Rouge, Washington and Beijing collectively used the UN and media to turn Vietnam into an international pariah and they left Cambodia in 1979.

Game, set and match ...........   !
What the world needs is more geniuses with humility, there are so few of us left  -   Oscar Levant

Use magic tools Report

Medal Medal of honor Gold Medal July's Best Writer 2012 October's Best Writer 2012

Post time 2013-2-23 21:21:16 |Display all floors
Uncle_Pang Post time: 2013-2-23 21:16
You know you politics old man!

I can assume you too, is a living witness to the historical event. ...

What the world needs is more geniuses with humility, there are so few of us left  -   Oscar Levant

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2013-2-23 21:24:56 |Display all floors
Reminder: Author is prohibited or removed, and content is automatically blocked
Writer's real name is Lau Guan Kim.  lau_guan_kim is for commentary and analysis. He writes also under another alter ego jinseng. I will respond to good reasoned debate. Mudslingers shall be ignored. What I do not like are ignorance, stupidity, chauvinism and bigotry. The other party has as much right as I have until it resorts to insults and nuisance.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2013-2-23 21:37:30 |Display all floors
Deng Xiao ping whilst in Washington at the time of theis event told them .........

"Sometimes naughty children need a smacked bottom ........."!      

Use magic tools Report

You can't reply post until you log in Log in | register

BACK TO THE TOP
Contact us:Tel: (86)010-84883548, Email: blog@chinadaily.com.cn
Blog announcement:| We reserve the right, and you authorize us, to use content, including words, photos and videos, which you provide to our blog
platform, for non-profit purposes on China Daily media, comprising newspaper, website, iPad and other social media accounts.