Views: 4524|Replies: 3

Workplace jargon used by managers [Copy link] 中文

Medal of honor September's Best Writer 2012

Post time 2013-2-16 12:51:19 |Display all floors
Below are some workplace jargons used by managers:
ox.png

"Think outside the box" is a graphic way of asking people to consider other possibilities which is something any decent leader is going to be open too. It encourages creativity (with regards to their job description) among people not to limit their thinking.
"high level overview"  is a code for we don't know what we're talking about because we never did the low level job that actually makes the company function. (satire)

"action items"  is a code for more check lists to do, adding to the many other action items that have been developed over the prior years.  

"aggressive" is a code word for what we are doing isn't working, but by adding the word "aggressive" in front of it, then it sure makes it look like we're trying hard. (satire)

"conference call" is a code that may mean an organized waste of time where ten people fail to make a decision that one person should have made in a very short time. (satire)

"Work it out" is a code for hopefully someone else will do it. (satire)

"vetting"   means the issue was thoroughly studied prior to being discussed.  In reality it means the speaker didn't do a thing, but it sounds important.  

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2013-2-16 13:02:12 |Display all floors
"Thanks for making me look good" : This one is annoying because while it is true, the person saying it secretly thinks that they are responsible for the success.

"Delegate" is a code for I really don't want to do it so I will let my subordinate do it and call it a developmental opportunity. (satire)

"Laser focused or razor sharp" is kind of funny term saying we looked at very, very, very closely.  Superfluous and usually means it was a haphazard effort. (satire)

"Synergy" is another code for I'm not pulling my weight, but if I can make this a team effort hopefully other people won't notice I'm not contributing anything. (satire)

"Wage units" refer to employees.

"(somebody) is not tracking" - means (somebody) is not following the other person's train of thought.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2013-2-16 13:06:20 |Display all floors
"Land and expand" means to sell a small solution to a client and then once the solution has been sold, to expand upon the same solution in the client’s environment.

"Blue sky thinking" means a visionary idea without always having a practical application.

"The helicopter view" means an overview.

"Get our ducks in a row"  means order and organize everything efficiently and effectively.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2013-2-16 13:08:55 |Display all floors
"Drink our own champagne" means that a business will use the same product they are selling to their customers. The word 'champagne' is an indicator a good product.

"End user perspective" is basically what the customer thinks about a product or service. It also is an indicator of how a client would feel after having used the product or service.

"Pushing the envelope" means to go outside of what is seen as normal corporate boundaries in order to attain a goal or secure a target.

Use magic tools Report

You can't reply post until you log in Log in | register

BACK TO THE TOP
Contact us:Tel: (86)010-84883548, Email: blog@chinadaily.com.cn
Blog announcement:| We reserve the right, and you authorize us, to use content, including words, photos and videos, which you provide to our blog
platform, for non-profit purposes on China Daily media, comprising newspaper, website, iPad and other social media accounts.