Author: expatter

Is Awareness a Cultural Thing ……. ?   [Copy link] 中文

Medal Medal of honor Gold Medal July's Best Writer 2012 October's Best Writer 2012

Post time 2013-2-13 12:22:02 |Display all floors
L31_G0NG_L41 Post time: 2013-2-13 12:17
How do u feel about driving in a country where everyone believes in Reincarnation?

if they do somet ...

Certainly many drive in China as if they were the emperor himself  ........     

What the world needs is more geniuses with humility, there are so few of us left  -   Oscar Levant

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2013-2-13 12:25:02 |Display all floors
expatter Post time: 2013-2-13 12:20
And I pray you never do ........

Nothing worse than not being able to see a future for oneself or ...

Yes, I also hope not but, since my siblings, all of whom have too many kids, haven't written and complained about financial hardship etc going on back home, I am inclined to believe that everything is still hunky dory.
All in all, we're pretty lucky back home, to have stable gov'ts, enterprising people who mostly get along, geographical isolation, very low gov't/public debt and commodities folks want. These all kind of insulate us from the maladies of the world, in general.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2013-2-13 14:43:04 |Display all floors
TheHermit Post time: 2013-2-12 21:20
You are talking about the "Black Country" there..... George's territory.

People are different  ...

Ironically ordinary folk were generally a lot happier when i was a kid, even though they had a lot less materially than they have now.  Austerity was a way of life.

The difference is everybody of working age had a job back then, being happy isn't just about having loadsa money. Self-worth and the dignity of doing a useful job are very important.

Your own mind is a sacred enclosure into which nothing harmful can enter except by your permission. Arnold Bennett

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2013-2-13 15:48:40 |Display all floors
St_George Post time: 2013-2-13 14:43
Ironically ordinary folk were generally a lot happier when i was a kid, even though they had a lot ...

UK experiment in austerity is an experiment on cruelty. Human cruelty.

there are those who think cruelty is good and healing. That is religion and faith healing.

From the view of economist and especially Keynesian economists..................austerity is just that...............cruelty and an experiment not justified  by  economic data....and not supported by proper reasoning.
I've made my living, Mr. Thompson, in large part as a gambler. Some days I make twenty bets, some days I make none. There are weeks, sometimes months, in fact, when I don't make any bet at all because ...

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2013-2-13 17:53:27 |Display all floors
Revolutionar Post time: 2013-2-13 15:48
UK experiment in austerity is an experiment on cruelty. Human cruelty.

there are those who think  ...

What's the alternative to austerity though?
Bankruptcy?
I'd think that is more cruel and misrable, to be honest!

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2013-2-13 18:37:23 |Display all floors
exportedkiwi Post time: 2013-2-13 17:53
What's the alternative to austerity though?
Bankruptcy?
I'd think that is more cruel and misrable ...

UK like US and Japan can print its own currency.

UK is not Greece which uses a currency it cannot print at will.
I've made my living, Mr. Thompson, in large part as a gambler. Some days I make twenty bets, some days I make none. There are weeks, sometimes months, in fact, when I don't make any bet at all because ...

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2013-2-14 03:45:50 |Display all floors
Revolutionar Post time: 2013-2-13 18:37
UK like US and Japan can print its own currency.

UK is not Greece which uses a currency it cannot ...

Not the point, debts must be paid!

I owe some friends from a few years ago, I will pay my debts, when I can find them, ...it is honourable!

Use magic tools Report

You can't reply post until you log in Log in | register

BACK TO THE TOP
Contact us:Tel: (86)010-84883548, Email: blog@chinadaily.com.cn
Blog announcement:| We reserve the right, and you authorize us, to use content, including words, photos and videos, which you provide to our blog
platform, for non-profit purposes on China Daily media, comprising newspaper, website, iPad and other social media accounts.