Views: 2264|Replies: 6

Half of callers to Shanghai's suicide prevention line below 40 [Copy link] 中文

Gold Medal September's Best Writer 2012

Post time 2013-1-12 17:02:31 |Display all floors
Updated: 2013-01-11 21:09
By WANG HONGYI in Shanghai ( chinadaily.com.cn)

Nearly half of the callers to Shanghai's first 24-hour suicide-prevention hotline are in their 20s and 30s, the organization said on Friday.

The free hotline at 021-5161-9995 was launched on Dec 3 by nonprofit organization Life Education and Crisis Intervention Center.

Compared with similar hotlines in the city, the new line extends its service into late nights and early mornings, peak times for people who need to reach out for mental comfort.

From Dec 3 to 31, a total of 632 calls were received, with both sexes equally represented. Among them, 305 calls, or 48 percent, were from people between 23 and 35.

"These figures show us that this group of people should be given enough psychological and mental health aid," said psychological expert Lin Kunhui, the founder of the organization, who is also the secretary-general of the Taiwan Suicide Prevention and Cure Association.

About 20 percent of the calls require a crisis intervention, which means that the callers are considered to be in a serious state and need urgent intervention.

Lin said they are planning to work with local companies and schools to carry out activities to promote mental health.
our life is full of sunshine

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2013-1-12 21:03:10 |Display all floors
Why are you so excited to read this kind of news?

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2013-1-13 09:02:01 |Display all floors
liuyedao?
Who are you?
Could moderators publish me and liuyedao's IP to us?
He attacked me from time to time, not focusing on the topic.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2013-1-13 09:10:14 |Display all floors
When I was in school, many students were confused about the rapid changing moral guides, life values, and society. I heard a little that "I wanna kill myself". I could only said good words, not anything else.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2013-1-13 09:15:32 |Display all floors
Many years ago, I made a friend online. She said that she studied social work. What's social work? It's the first time that I heard of Social work and Social workers. I also read her papers about preventing sucide.

Do China need Social workers, not chengguan police?

Use magic tools Report

2016 Most Popular Member 2015 Most Popular Member 2014 Most Popular Member

Post time 2013-1-13 10:10:55 |Display all floors
People need a glimmer of hope that is real

Use magic tools Report

2015 Most Popular Member Medal

Post time 2013-1-14 06:55:04 |Display all floors
That sounds about right. All over the world people in their 20s and 30s commit the bulk of suicides. Join the club.

suicide age groups.jpg

If capitalism promotes innovation and creativity then why aren't scientists and artists the richest people in a capitalist nation?

Use magic tools Report

You can't reply post until you log in Log in | register

BACK TO THE TOP
Contact us:Tel: (86)010-84883548, Email: blog@chinadaily.com.cn
Blog announcement:| We reserve the right, and you authorize us, to use content, including words, photos and videos, which you provide to our blog
platform, for non-profit purposes on China Daily media, comprising newspaper, website, iPad and other social media accounts.